August 1, 1913|
New York City
|Died||July 25, 1983
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Occupation||Composer: Television series Wagon Train|
Jerome Moross (August 1, 1913 – July 25, 1983) was an American-born composer. During his teenage years, Moross met Bernard Herrmann. The two composers became friends, and their friendship lasted until Herrmann's death. He composed works for symphony orchestra, chamber ensembles, soloists, musical theatre. He also orchestrated motion picture scores for other composers. He is best known for the excellent quality of his music for film and television.
He was born in New York City in 1913. He became a talented piano player and composed music for the theater. In the 1940s he began to work in Hollywood, California, where he would compose the music scores for sixteen films from 1948 to 1969.
His best-known film score is that for the 1958 movie The Big Country, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Original Music Score. According to Moross, he composed the main title after recalling a walk he took in the flat lands around Albuquerque, New Mexico, shortly before he moved to Hollywood in the late 1930s.
His other works include the music for the films When I Grow Up (1951) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1960), The Cardinal (1963), Rachel, Rachel (1968) and The Valley of Gwangi (1969). He also composed the main theme to the 3rd–8th seasons of the television western series Wagon Train, the theme of which was based on his score for The Jayhawkers!.
- Mother (1935) – play – co-incidental music composer
- Susanna and the Elders (1948) – one-act musical – composer
- Willie the Weeper (1948) – one-act musical – composer
- The Eccentricities of Davey Crockett (1948) – one-act musical – composer
- The Golden Apple (1954) – musical – composer
- Gentlemen, Be Seated! (1963) – musical – composer
- Whitmer, Mariana (2013). "The Jerome Moross Story". The Estate of Jerome Moross. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- Bloom, Ken. American song. The complete musical theater companion. 1877–1995’’, Vol. 2, 2nd edition, Schirmer Books, 1996.
- Borroff, Edith; Clark, J. Bunker. American Opera. A Checklist, Harmonie Park Press, 1992.
- Larkin, Colin. The Encyclopedia of Popular Music, Third edition, Macmillan, 1998.
- Press, Jaques Cattell (Ed.). Who's who in American Music. Classical, First edition. R. R. Bowker, New York 1983.
- Sadie, Stanley. The new Grove dictionary of music and musicians, Macmillan, 1980.
- Sadie, Stanley; Hitchcock, H. Wiley (Ed.). The New Grove Dictionary of American Music. Grove's Dictionaries of Music, 1986.
- Wescott, Steven D. A Comprehensive Bibliography of Music for Film and Television, Information Coordinatores, 1985.
- Official site
- Jerome Moross Papers at the Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University
- Jerome Moross Centennial Tribute
- Jerome Moross at the Internet Movie Database
- Jerome Moross at the Internet Broadway Database