|Born||23 March 1906
|Died||28 February 2000
|Years of service||1934–1945|
|Commands held||Festungs-Grenadier-Regiment Kreta|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
|Other work||Police officer|
Johannes Barge (23 March 1906 – 28 February 2000) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (12 October 1939)
- 1st Class (19 February 1942)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (4 March 1942)
- Infantry Assault Badge in Silver (16 September 1942)
- Eastern Front Medal (20 July 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (28 July 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 10 May 1945 as Oberst and commander of Festungs-Grenadier-Regiment Kreta[Note 1]
- Unlawful presentation of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross to Johannes Barge by the Dönitz Government after 8 May 1945. This can be verified by the radio communication dated on 21 May 1945. The presentation date was backdated by Walther-Peer Fellgiebel. Barge was a member of the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 104.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 118.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.