John II, Duke of Brabant
|Duke of Brabant
Duke of Lothier
Duke of Limburg
|Spouse(s)||Margaret, Princess of England|
IssueJohn III, Duke of Brabant
The Duke of Brabant, Lothier and Limburg
|Noble family||House of Reginar|
|Father||John I, Duke of Brabant|
|Mother||Margaret of Flanders|
|Born||27 September 1275|
|Died||27 October 1312
John II van Brabant (September 27, 1275 – October 27, 1312, Tervuren), also called John the Peaceful, was Duke of Brabant, Lothier and Limburg (1294–1312). He was the son of John I of Brabant and Margaretha of Flanders, daughter of Guy of Dampierre.
John II succeeded his father in 1294  During the reign of John II, Brabant continued supporting a coalition to stop French expansion. He tried to conquer South Holland (district of medieval Holland) from the pro-French count John II of Holland, but was not successful. John, who suffered from kidney stones and wanted his duchy to be peacefully handed over to his son upon his death, in 1312 signed the famous Charter of Kortenberg.
On July 8, 1290, John married Margaret Plantagenet in Westminster Abbey, London. She was a daughter of King Edward I of England and his first Queen consort Eleanor of Castile. Only one child was born out of this marriage:
John II had several illegitimate children:
- Jan van Corsselaer, was later named Lord of Witthem, Wailwilre, Machelen, la Rochette and Colonster.
- Jan van Wyvliet. Lord of Blaesveld and Kuyc. Married to Margaret Pipenpoy.
- Jan Cordeken. Emperor Ludwig later legitimized Jan Cordeken, Lord of Glymes and the charter dated to 27 August 1344 lists John II as the father and Elisabeth Gortygin as his mother.
- Jan Magermann. Married to Adelise d'Elsies.
- Balduini Ninovensis Chronicon 1294, MGH SS XXV, p. 546.
- Oude Kronik van Brabant, p. 72.
- Oude Kronik van Brabant, p. 71.
- Annales Halesiensibus 1290, MHG SS XVI, p. 483.
- Florentii Wigornensis Monachi Chronicon, Continuatio, p. 243.
- Stubbs, W. (ed.) (1882) Annales Londonienses and Annales Paulini (London), Annales Londonienses, p. 98.
- Genealogia Ducum Brabantiæ Ampliata 14, MGH SS XXV, p. 397.
- Butkens (1724), Vol. I, Preuves, p. 145, "Extraict des registres de la ville de Malines".
- Butkens (1724), Vol. I, Preuves, p. 144, "Extraict des registres de la ville de Malines".
- Butkens (1724), Vol. I, Preuves, p. 146, "Extraicts des chartes de la maison de Berges sur Soom".
|Duke of Brabant, Lothier, and Limburg