John Rose (businessman)
Background and education
Born in Blantyre, Malawi, Rose earned his MA degree in psychology from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland in 1975. Before joining Rolls-Royce, he had a career in banking with the First National Bank of Chicago and Security Pacific.
Career with Rolls-Royce
Rose joined the company in 1984 and held a number of roles. He served as Director of Corporate Development from 1989 to 1994, and in February 1993 assumed the role of President and Chief Executive of Rolls-Royce Inc, responsible for Rolls-Royce activities in North America. On 1 January 1995 he became Managing Director of the Aerospace Group until he finally became the Chief Executive of the company on 1 May 1996 after serving on its Board of directors for four years. On 30 September 2010 he announced his decision to retire from Rolls-Royce and his position of Chief Executive. He left his post at the end of March 2011 with John Rishton taking over the Chief Executive position.
In September 2011, Rose became deputy chairman of the Rothschild group, and in February 2012 become a non-executive director of Holdingham Group, the parent company of strategic intelligence company Hakluyt & Company.
Sir John Rose is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, a Past-President of the European Association of Aerospace Industries (AECMA), a Past-President of the Society of British Aerospace Companies and was, until recently, on the Council of The Prince's Trust as Chairman of The Prince’s Trust. He is also a member of the JP Morgan International Council, the CBI International Advisory Board, the Advisory Board of the Economic Development Board of Singapore, The Englefield Advisory Board, and the European Round Table of Industrialists.
- "Birthdays". The Guardian (Guardian News & Media). 9 Oct 2014. p. 41.
- David Robertson. (25 July 2008). "Business big shot." The Times. p. 47
- Profile of Rose from Businessweek. Accessed 4 Nov. 2009.
- Jonathan Prynn. (22 August 2002). "Prickly Rose who must charm the City sceptics." The Evening Standard. p. 41
- James Quinn (25 February 2012). "Sir John Rose joins intelligence specialist Hakluyt". Sunday Telegraph. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Biography of Rose from Rolls-Royce. Accessed 4 Nov. 2009.
- University of Exeter honorary graduate page