Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner
|Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner|
Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner on January 2008
29 August 1967 |
Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner or, in Icelandic, Jón (born 29 August 1967 in Reykjavík, Iceland) is an Icelandic programmer and businessman. He founded the company Vivaldi Technologies and launched a community site called Vivaldi.net. Also Tetzchner is co-founder and former CEO of Opera Software.
Tetzchner is the son of the Icelander Elsa Jónsdóttir and the Norwegian Stephen von Tetzchner, a professor of psychology. Tetzchner grew up around Skólabraut in the Reykjavík suburb of Seltjarnarnes with his grandparents, the doctor Jón Gunnlaugsson and Selma Kaldalón, the daughter of the doctor and composer Sigvaldi Kaldalón. Tetzchner went to secondary school at the Menntaskólinn í Reykjavík before continuing his studies in Norway, where he made his career.
Tetzchner worked at the Norwegian state phone company (now known as Telenor) from 1991 to 1995. There, he and Geir Ivarsøy developed browsing software called MultiTorg Opera. The project was abandoned by Telenor, but Geir and Jon obtained the rights to the software, formed a company named Opera Software in 1995 and continued working on the Opera browser.
On Thursday, 21 April 2005, Tetzchner proclaimed at an internal meeting of Opera Software that if the download numbers of the browser's new version Opera 8 reached 1 million within four days, he would swim across the Atlantic Ocean from Norway to the United States. On Sunday, 23 April, the downloads reached 1,050,000 and Tetzchner had to fulfil his challenge. The Opera site covered the swim and its quick failure.
On 5 January 2010, Tetzchner stepped down as Chief Executive Officer of Opera Software, but he continued to serve Opera as a strategic adviser.
On 24 June 2011, Tetzchner announced that he was leaving Opera Software.
In December 2013 Tetzchner founded the company Vivaldi Technologies and launched the community site Vivaldi.net. Vivaldi.net includes a forum, blogs, chat, photo sharing and a free email service named Vivaldi Mail.
- Jón G. Hauksson, Björgólfur Thor og Jón Tetzchner: Íslendingar eiga tvo leiðtoga í 237 manna hópi „Ungra leiðtoga" sem taka þátt í verkefninu Forum of Young Global Leaders, Frjáls verslun, 67.1 (2005), 16--22 (p. 17); ISSN: 1017-3544.
- "About Opera, Executive team". Opera Software. Archived from the original on 14 December 2008. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "The one million download challenge of Opera 8: Opera's CEO will swim from Norway to the USA". Opera Software. 21 April 2005. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Opera CEO fulfills Download Challenge … sort of". Geek.com. 27 April 2005. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Opera appoints Lars Boilesen new Chief Executive Officer". Opera Software. 5 January 2010. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Jon S. von Tetzchner is leaving Opera Software". Opera Software. 24 June 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Lardinois, Frederic (23 January 2014). "Opera’s Former CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Community Site And Email Service". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
|Wikinews has related news: Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO for Opera speaks against DotMobi|