|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (October 2013)|
January 21, 1947 |
Joseph Nicolosi (born January 21, 1947) is an American clinical psychologist, founder and director of the Thomas Aquinas Psychological Clinic in Encino, California, and a founder and former president of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH). Nicolosi has advocated and practiced reparative therapy, a practice that he claims can help people overcome or mitigate their homosexual desires and replace them with heterosexual ones.
Nicolosi has described his theories in Reparative Therapy of Male Homosexuality: A New Clinical Approach and three other books. Nicolosi proposes that homosexuality is often the product of a condition he describes as gender-identity deficit caused by an alienation from, and perceived rejection by, individuals of the subject's gender. He holds a Ph.D. from the California School of Professional Psychology.
Nicolosi is a founding member of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) and was its president for some time. NARTH is a professional association that promotes the acceptance of conversion therapy, whose adherents purport successfully changing homosexuals into heterosexuals. He is an advisor to, and officer of, NARTH.
- Nicolosi, Joseph (1991). Reparative Therapy of Male Homosexuality: A New Clinical Approach. Jason Aronson, Inc. ISBN 0-87668-545-9.
- Nicolosi, Joseph (1993). Healing Homosexuality: Case Stories of Reparative Therapy. Jason Aronson, Inc. ISBN 0-7657-0144-8.
- Nicolosi, Joseph; Byrd, A. Dean; Potts, Richard W. (June 2000). Retrospective self-reports of changes in homosexual orientation: A consumer survey of conversion therapy clients 86. Psychological Reports. pp. 1071–1088.
- Nicolosi, Joseph (2002). A meta-analytic review of treatment of homosexuality.. Psychological reports.
- Nicolosi, Joseph & Nicolosi, Linda Ames (2002). A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality. InterVarsity Press. ISBN 0-8308-2379-4.
- Nicolosi, Joseph (2002). A critique of Bem's "exotic becomes erotic" theory of sexual orientation development.. Psychological reports.
- Nicolosi, Joseph (2008). Clients' perceptions of how reorientation therapy and self-help can promote changes in sexual orientation.. Psychological reports.
- Nicolosi, Joseph (2009). Shame and Attachment Loss: The Practical Work of Reparative Therapy. InterVarsity Press
- official website
- Catholic Answers: Dr. Joseph Nicolosi
- Catholic Therapists: Dr. Joseph Nicolosi
- MSNBC: image of Dr. Joseph Nicolosi
- Author Interview: A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality by Dr. Joseph Nicolosi and Linda Nicolosi.
- Book Excerpt: Reparative Therapy of Male Homosexuality by Dr. Joseph Nicolosi.
- Book Excerpt: Healing Homosexuality: Case Stories of Reparative Therapy by Dr. Joseph Nicolosi.
- Book Excerpt: A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality by Dr. Joseph Nicolosi and Linda Nicolosi.
- Review: Therapy Terminable and Interminable: 'Non-gay Homosexuals' Come Out of the Closet by professor James Weinrich. A scholarly review of one of Nicolosi's scholarly books about conversion therapy.