Joshua Jones (TV series)
|Created by||Rob Lee|
|Written by||Bob Wilson|
|Starring||George Layton, Barbara Flynn (voice)|
|Country of origin||Wales|
|Producer(s)||Ian Frampton, John Walker|
|Running time||10 minutes|
|Original channel||S4C (Wales)
|Original run||17 September 1991 – 3 December 1991 (Wales) – 7 January 1992 – 24 March 1992 (UK)|
Joshua Jones was a Welsh stop-motion children's television series, made by Bumper Films (the creators of Rocky Hollow and Fireman Sam). It was originally shown on S4C in the Welsh language from 17 September to 3 December 1991; it was later translated into the English language, sold to the BBC, and shown from 7 January to 24 March 1992.
The series was about a cheerful fellow named Joshua Jones who lives on a canal boat with his canine companion Fairport and together they take trips up and down Clearwater Canal, delivering items and carrying out tasks for the folks at Biggott's Wharf and generally having a fun time on the water.
Joshua's bosses are: Baboo Karia, a retired Indian Admirable, Datsa Karia, Mr Cashmore's co-worker and Baboo's daughter-in-law, and the get-rich-quick Wilton Cashmore.
Joshua's friends are: Joe Laski, the Hungarian farmer who takes a care of his horse Trojan, Ravi Karia, the Indian Boy who is Mrs. Karia's son and Admirable's grandson, and Fiona, Mr. Cashmore's not-so-money-hungry daughter.
His co-workers are: Sharon, a dizzy blonde girl who owned a catering van, and Spanner, the lazy boy who likes Sharon. The most interesting person is Daphne Peacock, the vet who takes care of the sick animals.
- Joshua Jones - a young man who lives in Karia's Residence. He travels by his canal boat with his dog named Fairport. His main job is to transport goods along the canals but he is more than willing to utilise his boat to help others in a crisis.
- Admirable Baboo Karia - a retired Indian admirable who served in the Royal Navy and is always putting his naval experience to good use in everyday tasks. He is Datsa's father-in-law and Ravi's grandfather.
- Datsa Karia - Admirable's daughter-in-law and Ravi's mother. She is a very cheerful woman. Her first name is only mentioned in the episode "Tortoise". Ravi's father never appears.
- Joe Laski - the farmer from Hungary. He takes care of his horse named Trojan.
- Daphne Peacock - the local vetarinian who is often called in to take care of sick animals.
- Wilton Cashmore - a local rich busybody who likes to boss his staff around. He goes to great lengths to try to impress his own boss, the unseen Mr. Biggott.
- Mr. Biggott - Wilton's boss. Never appears although Mr. Cashmore speaks to him on the phone in almost every episode.
- Mrs. Biggott - Mr. Biggott's wife. Never appears. She is only mentioned in one episode.
- Sharon - a dizzy blonde girl who sells food from her bistro wagon by the canal.
- Spanner Wilkins - Sharon's boyfriend; an 18 year old lazy accident-prone orange-haired chap who does odd-jobs for Cashmore and various other characters. He often skives off work to go and eat at Sharon's cafe.
- Ravi Karia - an eight-year-old boy, Datsa's son and Admirable's grandson.
- Fiona Cashmore - a nine-year-old girl, Wilton Cashmore's daughter.
- Fairport - a Yorkshire terrier dog, Joshua's faithful animal friend.
- Trojan - Joe's black horse.
- Boomer - Ravi's colourful parrot which is sent by his uncle.
- Tearaway Trevor - Ravi's pet tortoise.
- 1. Horseplay (7 January 1992) (W:17 September 1991)- When Trojan the horse falls into the canal, Joshua Jones comes to the rescue.
- 2. Haywire (14 January 1992) (W:24 September 1991)- There's a storm brewing and Spanner is helping Joe Laski fetch in his hay. Meanwhile Mr Cashmore is organising a buffet for Mr Biggott.
- 3. Treasure (21 January 1992) (W:1 October 1991)- Spanner, Cashmore and Sharon go digging for treasure when they believe there is silver buried by Sharon's Cafe.
- 4. Boomer (28 January 1992) (W:8 October 1991)- Josh rescues Ravi and Fiona from the weir when they look for Boomer the parrot who has escaped.
- 5. Tortoise (4 February 1992) (W:15 October 1991)- One of Spanner's meat pies is mistaken for Ravi's tortoise.
- 6. Sting (11 February 1992) (W:22 October 1991)- When some chemicals infect Fairport's eyes, Josh organises a sponsored walk for the ointment his dog needs. Cashmore sponsors Spanner knowing he won't get far, but some treacle pudding and a swarm of wasps prove him wrong.
- 7. Spook (18 February 1992) (W:29 October 1991) - Ravi and Fiona believe there's a ghost in Joe's barn. Meanwhile Wilton Cashmore's new burglar alarm is proving unpopular.
- 8. Plum Crazy (25 February 1992) (W:5 November 1991)- Admirable Karia needs to find an easy way to pick the plums from his plum tree.
- 9. Paperwork (3 March 1992) (W:12 November 1991)- After decorating her cafe van, Spanner takes Sharon on a picnic,but the wind teaches them not to throw litter around.
- 10. Photo Finish (10 March 1992) (W:19 November 1991)- Josh has made a raft for Ravi,but disaster strikes when Cashmore borrows it to fish out Mr Biggott's birthday present from the canal.
- 11. Snake Chase (17 March 1992) (W:26 November 1991)- Daphne Peacock is looking after a grass-snake but mayhem ensues when it meets Trojan the horse.
- 12. Silver (24 March 1992) (W:3 December 1991)- Admirable Karia is determined to win "The Lock Competition". Meanwhile Joshua and Joe have trouble with a runaway tyre.
UK VHS Releases
|VHS Title||Release Date||Episodes|
|Joshua Jones - Horseplay (BBCV 4806)||15 June 1992||Horseplay, Haywire, Treasure, Boomer|
|Joshua Jones 2 (BBCV 4993)||5 April 1993||Tortoise, Sting, Spook, Plum Crazy|
- In 2005, Reel Entertainment in Australia released two (PAL Region 4) DVDs containing all 12 episodes.
From Heinemann Young Books in 1992. Written by Mary Risk and illustrated by 'The Country Studio'.
- The C.C. Club
- Josh's Special Delivery (0434948454)
- Duck Tunnel (0434948438)
- Happy Birthday Josh! (0434948411)
- Out of Action (0434962252)
- The Lock Competition (0434962244)
- Vet's Order's
Eight numbered titles from Buzz Books in 1993. Stories by Olivia Madden developed from scripts by Bob Wilson illustrated with stills taken from TV series.
- 1. Horseplay (1855911396)
- 2. Going Haywire (1855911388)
- 3. A Parrot Called Boomer (185591137X)
- 4. Treasure Trove
- 5. Photo Finish (1855912333)
- 6. Snake Chase (1855912341)
- 7. Tortoise Trail (185591235X)
- 8. Night Watch (1855912368)
- With the Voices of: Barbara Flynn and George Layton
- Originated & Designed by: Rob Lee
- Developed & Written by: Bob Wilson
- Model Makers: Brian Collins, Tania MacDonnell, Sean Millar, Andy O'Neil, John Parsons, Katharine Scott Kevin Simth
- Vehicles: Alun Jones, James Nevill
- Puppet Makers: Alison Fairholm, Ian Frampton, Cindy Friers, Alison Hall
- Engineering Consultant: Mel Grigg Mark Baker (1991 Halloween Episode)
- Set Design: Beverley Knowlden Janice Shakespeare Barry Zafar Peter Linz
- Music & Lyrics by: Ben Heneghan, Ian Lawson
- Sung by: Maldwyn Pope
- Sound/Firework Fx: John Cross, Tom Logan
- Edited by: William J. Oswald, Jane Murrell, Elen Lewis, Patrick McHugh Ben Small
- Animated by: John Walker, Brian Anderson, Timon Dowdeswell
- Executive Producers: Christopher Grace, Theresa Plummer-Andrews
- Produced & Directed by: Ian Frampton, John Walker
- Produced by Bumper Films for S4C, BBC, Prism Art and Design
- © Rob Lee MCMLXXXIX
- © S4C MCMXCI