|Type||Daily newspaper (except unsere Zeit on Sunday)|
|Owner(s)||8. Mai GmbH|
|Publisher||LPG junge Welt e. G.|
|Political alignment||(Democratic) Socialism, Anti-imperialism, Marxism-Leninism|
It was first published on 12 February 1947 in the Soviet Sector of Berlin. junge Welt became the official newspaper of the Central Council (Zentralrat) of the Free German Youth on 12 November 1947. With a daily circulation of 1.4 million, junge Welt had the largest circulation of any daily newspaper in the German Democratic Republic, even higher than the official Communist party organ Neues Deutschland.
It was relaunched in 1994, after German reunification and the effective dissolution of the FDJ, as Germany's leftmost daily newspaper. The new editorial team included both East and West German authors of different left factions. In 1997, a schism between these two camps led to the eventual foundation of the weekly Jungle World, which since strongly denounced anti-Zionist views upheld by their former colleagues. The newspaper has been criticized[according to whom?] for uncritically reporting on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Iran's nuclear ambitions[clarification needed].
According to the Annual Report of the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution, "the national daily newspaper junge Welt is the most important printed medium in the left-wing extremist scene" in Germany. Arnold Schölzel, editor-in-chief of the newspaper since 2000, was allegedly a Stasi informant.
- "Diese Zeitung". junge Welt (Berlin). ISSN 0941-9373. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- Antisemitismus von links
- "Danke für 2888 Hammerabos" [Thank you for 2888 subscriptions]. junge Welt (in German) (Berlin). 16 February 2008. p. 16. ISSN 0941-9373.
- "Annual Report on the Protection of the Constitution 2008". Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution. 2009. p. 128. Retrieved 2010-09-26. "One important printed medium in the left-wing extremist scene is the national daily newspaper junge Welt (jW, young world)."
- Verfassungsschutzbericht 2011. S. 173. Available online: http://www.verfassungsschutz.de/download/SHOW/vsbericht_2011_vorabfassung.pdf
- Christian Buß, “Spitzel mit Spitzenleistung”, Spiegel-online (11 July 2007)
|This German newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|