|Headquarters||K&L Gates Center
|No. of offices||47|
|No. of attorneys||Over 2000|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Key people||Peter Kalis (chairman)|
|Date founded||2007 (Pittsburgh)|
|Company type||Limited Liability Partnership|
K&L Gates LLP is a US-based international law firm with offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, South America, and the United States. It is the 8th largest law firm in the United States  and the 11th largest among law firms worldwide. The company has been described as "a lobbying firm that represents the hi-tech and energy sectors" and in the past has hired former legislators favorably inclined towards their clients.
- 1883: Preston Gates & Ellis is founded in Seattle, emerging out of the private law offices of Harold Preston.
- 1858: London-based Nicholson Graham & Jones Ltd is founded
- 1946: Pittsburgh-based Kirkpatrick & Lockhart is founded
- 2005: Kirkpatrick & Lockhart and Nicholson Graham merge to become Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Nicholson Graham
- 2007: On January 1, K&L Gates is formed in a merger between Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Nicholson Graham and Preston Gates & Ellis to form Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Preston Gates Ellis. The name was later shortened to K&L Gates.
- 2008: In January, K&L Gates combined with Hughes & Luce, a Dallas-based firm of 150 attorneys with offices in Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth
- 2008: In July K&L Gates combined with Kennedy Covington Lobdell & Hickman LLP, a North Carolina-based firm of 200 attorneys with offices in Charlotte, Raleigh, and Research Triangle Park.
- March 1, 2009: K&L Gates merged with Bell, Boyd & Lloyd, a Chicago based firm with approximately 215 attorneys with offices in Chicago, San Diego and Washington, D.C.
- 2013: K&L Gates combined with Australian national firm Middletons with offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, and Brisbane
Notable lawyers and alumni
- Jack Abramoff former lobbyist, writer
- Slade Gorton, former two-term U.S. senator
- Dick Thornburgh, former Attorney General of the United States and two-term Governor of Pennsylvania
- Rick Santorum, former two-term U.S. Representative, former two-term U.S. Senator and 2012 Republican presidential candidate
- Michael S. Greco, former American Bar Association president
- Eric Schneiderman, the current New York Attorney General
- Bart Gordon, former twelve-term U.S. Congressman
- Bill Neukom, former American Bar Association president and managing partner of the San Francisco Giants 
- William H. Gates, Sr, attorney and philanthropist. One of the founders of Preston Gates & Ellis (which merged to become K&L Gates)
- Michael C. Ormsby, US Attorney for the Eastern District of Washington
- "The NLJ 250:Our Annual Survey". The National Law Journal. ALM Media Properties, LLC. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "The 2011 Global 100: Most Lawyers". The American Lawyer. ALM Media Properties, LLC. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Carney, Timothy (2011-03-29) Rep. Gordon gives your money to hi-tech and energy industries, then gets hired by them, Washington Examiner
- Smith, Jennifer (2012-12-10), "With Cross-Border Mergers, Law Firms Enter Arms Race", The Wall Street Journal (paper ): B1;B6
- "Kalis elected to fifth terms as head of K&L Gates," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sept. 25, 2012, http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/kalis-elected-to-fifth-terms-as-head-of-kl-gates-654825/
- Riggio, Jim (3 November 2005). "Former Congressman, Judge James Rogan Joins Orange County Firm". Metropolitan News Enterprise. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- James, Andrea (14 December 2006). "Preston Gates & Ellis OKs merger". Seattle Pi. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Press release from K&L Gates
- Nelson, Robert T. (January 27, 1995). "Democratic Firm Learns To Do Business With New Congress". The Seattle Times.
- Postman, David and Bernton, Hal (2006-02-07). "How scheming lobbyist operated in Seattle firm". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- Congress is on a health-reform path that will raise premiums
- K&L Gates - People - K&L Gates
- Thornburgh Shares Lessons From Three Mile Island Crisis
- K&L Gates - People - Dick Thornburgh
- Testimony of Dick Thornburgh, Former Attorney General of the United States, Counsel, K&L Gates LLP
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Rick Santorum
- 9 Things You Need to Know About Rick Santorum
- K&L Gates - People - Michael S. Greco
- Eric Schneiderman
- ABA Journal ABA President to Replace Magowan as Managing Partner of San Francisco Giants