Dr Karen Pearlman, author of Cutting Rhythms, Shaping the Film Edit (Focal Press, 2009) is known for her pioneering work in articulating underlying principles concerning what rhythm in film is, how it is shaped and the purpose it serves in modulating cycles of tension and release for viewers. The focus of her research and teaching as Head of Screen Studies at the Australian Film, Television and Radio School is on the connection of theory and practice and making conceptual thinking accessible and useful to practitioners. Many of her ideas about rhythm, editing, and affect derive from her career as a professional dancer on the opera house stages of the world with the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company, and dancing and choreographing in the theatres, lofts and experimental dance venues of Australia, the USA and Europe. As well as using her understanding of kinesthetic empathy in her theorizing, she applies her choreographic sensibility to her own editing and dramaturgy of the multi award winning dance on screen works made by The Physical TV Company, which she co-directs with Richard James Allen. In 2009 Dr Pearlman was elected President of The Australian Screen Editors Guild (ASE).
- Pearlman, Karen (2009). Cutting Rhythms: Shaping the Film Edit. Amsterdam ; Boston: Focal Press/Elsevier. pp. xxix, 269 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. ISBN 978-0-240-81014-0 (pbk. : alk. paper) 0240810147 (pbk. : alk. paper) Check
- Allen, Richard James; Karen Pearlman (© 1999). Performing the Unnameable: An Anthology of Australian Performance Texts. Sydney, N.S.W., Australia: Currency Press in association with RealTime. pp. xv, 203 p. : ill. ; 28 cm. ISBN 0-86819-420-4 : 0868194204 0868194204 (Pbk) Check
- Allen, Richard James; Karen Pearlman (1996). New Life on the 2nd Floor. Launceston, TAS, Australia: Tasdance. pp. 76 p. : ill. ; 22 cm. ISBN 0-9586795-0-9.
- Dr Karen Pearlman at the Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS)
- Cutting Rhythms: Shaping the Film Edit
- Performing The Unnameable: An Anthology of Australian Performance Texts
- The Physical TV Company
- The Physical TV Channel on YouTube
- The Physical TV Company Website selected for preservation by Pandora, Australia's Web Archive, at the National Library of Australia
- Dr Karen Pearlman on ABC Radio National Australia Talks Movies: Dance Film
- Reviews, Articles and Books by and Interviews with Dr Karen Pearlman
- Karen Pearlman at the Manuscripts Collection, the State Library of New South Wales
- Karen Pearlman at the National Film and Sound Archive
- Portrait of Karen Pearlman at the National Library of Australia
- "Cutting Shapes". www.filmink.com.au. Retrieved 2009-10-19. Film Ink, "Cutting Shapes"
- "Cutting Rhythms By: Karen Pearlman, Publisher: Focal Press". UTS:Postgraduate. Retrieved 2009-10-19. UTS: Postgraduate, "Cutting Rhythms"
- "Cutting Rhythms - Shaping The Film Edit By Dr Karen Pearlman". memorabletv.com. Retrieved 2009-10-19.Memorabletv.com, "Cutting Rhythms"