Kenyon is a surname of English origin. It is said to be Celtic for "Blonde", among other meanings it also means "The White Haired Norseman", the origins of the name are fairly well known. The name first appears in English heraldry in the late thirteenth century when Jordan de Kenyon first took the name of the small village he inherited from his father. The name appears in court records as early as 1300, but is believed to have been in use as early as 1256. Kenyon is located west of Manchester and is within the Borough of Warrington, until recently in Cheshire. The location of Kenyon Hall is near the parish of Winwick and is currently used as a vegetable farm.
According to family documents that once belonged to Lord Kenyon, Baron of Gedington, the Kenyon name is one of the oldest in England. Descendents of the family are believed to come from Saxon invaders of the mid-fifth century who were rewarded with land for assisting in the Saxon invasion of what is now Lancashire.
List of people
- Alfred S. Kenyon Australian Anthropologist
- Baron Kenyon, barony since 1788, baronetcy since 1784
- Carol Kenyon, British singer
- Cynthia Kenyon, an American molecular biologist and biogerontologist known for her genetic dissection of aging in Caenorhabditis elegans.
- Dean H. Kenyon, professor at SFSU
- Don Kenyon (1924-1996), English cricketer
- Dorothy Kenyon (1888-1972), New York lawyer
- E. W. Kenyon (1867-1948), evangelist and president of a Bible Institute
- Frederic G. Kenyon (1863-1952) biblical scholar
- Herbert Hollick-Kenyon (1897-1975), aircraft pilot in Antarctica
- James Kenyon (cinematographer) (1850-1925), English pioneer of cinematography
- Jane Kenyon (1947-1995), American poet and translator
- John Robert Kenyon (1807-1880), British legal academic
- John Samuel Kenyon (1874-1959), American phonetician
- Kathleen Kenyon (1906-1978), British archaeologist of Neolithic culture
- Kyle Kenyon, American politician
- Leigh Kenyon (b. 1979), former English footballer
- Lloyd Kenyon, 1st Baron Kenyon (1732-1802), British politician and barrister
- Mel Kenyon (b. 1933), American racing driver
- Nicholas Kenyon (b. 1951), English music administrator
- Peter Kenyon (b. 1954), chief executive of Chelsea Football Club
- Sandy Kenyon (b. 1922), American actor
- Sherrilyn Kenyon (b. 1965), American writer of pulp fiction novels
- Steve Kenyon (b. 1951), English long-distance runner
- Tom Kenyon, Australian politician
- William C. Kenyon (1898–1951), American athlete and coach
- William S. Kenyon (Iowa politician) (1869-1933), United States senator
- William Kenyon-Slaney (1847-1908), English sportsman, soldier and politician
- "Last name: Kenyon". surnamedb.com. Name Origin Research. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
|This name-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|