Location in Lauderdale County and the state of Alabama
|• Mayor||Tim Tubbs|
|• Total||1.9 sq mi (5 km2)|
|• Land||1.9 sq mi (5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||610 ft (186 m)|
|• Density||588.9/sq mi (223.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0121192|
Killen is a town in Lauderdale County, Alabama, United States. It is part of the Florence - Muscle Shoals Metropolitan Statistical Area known as "The Shoals". As of the 2000 census, the population of the town is 1,190.
Killen is located at (34.861586, -87.529374).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2), all of which is land and none of which is covered by water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,119 people, 435 households, and 338 families residing in the town. The population density was 585.0 people per square mile (226.2/km²). There were 484 housing units at an average density of 253.0 per square mile (97.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.26% White, 2.23% Black or African American, 0.45% Asian, 1.61% from other races, and 0.45% from two or more races. 2.59% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Of the 435 households, 35.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.9% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.1% were non-families. 18.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57, and the average family size was 2.94.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.8% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 32.2% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 12.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.9 males.
The median household income was $43,203, and the median family income was $47,596. Males had a median income of $36,957 versus $22,102 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,872. About 2.4% of families and 5.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.8% of those under age 18 and 8.4% of those age 65 or over.
League of the South
The League of the South, which is a Southern nationalist group, is headquartered in Killen, Alabama. The Southern Poverty Law Center has designated the League of the South as a Neo-Confederate hate group.
- Drive-By Truckers: A band that has traveled throughout the U.S. and has been on several nationwide TV shows including Conan O'Brien.
- Patrick Hape, former NFL player
- Harlon Junius Hill: Football player; starred at Florence State Teachers College, now known as the University of North Alabama, as well as the Chicago Bears, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Detroit Lions. He is the namesake of the Harlon Hill Trophy.
- "Town of Killen". Killen Alabama website. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- League of the South page at SPLC