Kind of Like Spitting
|Kind of Like Spitting|
Ben Barnett playing at Will's Pub, Orlando, Florida, January 2006
|Origin||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Genres||Indie rock, emo|
|Years active||1996–2006, 2012–|
|Labels||Count Your Lucky Stars Records
New American Dream
|Members||Ben Barnett, Brian Grant, Dante Johnson|
|Past members||Ryan Moore
Ryan Matheson,Ben Gibbard, P.J., Dan DeVriend, David Jerkovich
Kind of Like Spitting is an American indie rock band. They formed in 1996 in Portland, Oregon. The band is led by singer-songwriter Ben Barnett, whose work has drawn comparisons to Elliott Smith, Mark Eitzel, Billy Bragg, and Robert Pollard.
Over the next decade, Kind of Like Spitting regularly toured in the US, sometimes with David J or a backing band. Kind of Like Spitting released twelve albums in seven years. In the UK, the track "Birds of a Feather" was picked up and played by BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel, but didn't get regular airplay. The band announced a break-up in 2006 for personal reasons.
Barnett has been involved in other musical projects, including The Thermals in 2002–2003. Since 2007, Barnett has taught music at the Paul Green School of Rock in Seattle. Barnett was also part of the band Blunt Mechanic, which released the album World Record in 2010.
In 2011, Kind of Like Spitting played a reunion set at Brootal Sun Fest in Tucson, Arizona.
In 2014, Kind of Like Spitting reunited as a trio with Brian Grant on bass guitar and Dante Johnson on drums. In this lineup the band recorded their Topshelf Records debut, It's Always Nice To See You and embarked on a two-week-long tour with Lemuria.
- You Secretly Want Me Dead – Hush Records (2000)
- Nothing Makes Sense Without It – New American Dream (2000)
- Old Moon in the Arms of the New – Hush Records (2000)
- One Hundred Dollar Room – Ohev/Ganaarecordings (2002)
- Bridges Worth Burning – Barsuk (2002)
- Learn: The Songs of Phil Ochs – Hush Records (2005)
- In the Red – Hush Records (2005)
- The Thrill of the Hunt – Redder Records (2006)
- Your Living Room's All Over Me – Art of the Underground (2006)
- One Hundred Dollar Room - Count Your Lucky Stars Records (2013)
- It's Always Nice To See You - Topshelf Records (2015)
- Kellman, Andy. "Kind of Like Spitting". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- "John Peel show 10th June 1999". University of Edinburgh - School of Informatics. Retrieved 2006-12-18.
- Brickner, Sara (2010-05-05). "Blunt Mechanic: Kind of Like Kind of Like Spitting". Seattle Weekly. Retrieved 2011-01-11.