|Type of site||Online gaming website|
|Registration||Free, not required (however, some features are disabled); Paid membership optional|
|Launched||October 10, 2006|
In game currency ("Kreds")
|Alexa rank||1,083 (December 2013[update])|
Kongregate was released on October 10, 2006 by sister and brother team Emily and Jim Greer into an alpha testing phase, which lasted until December 2006. During this time, game developers and players tested the site's interface and functionality. In December of the same year, the site was formally opened to the public. The site formally entered the beta testing phase on March 22, 2007. As of July 2008, Kongregate had raised around $9 million in capital from investments by Reid Hoffman, Jeff Clavier, Jeff Bezos, and Greylock Partners.
In July 2010, GameStop announced an agreement to acquire Kongregate. Because of Gamestop's purchase of Kongregate, developers who work through Kongregate can have their content promoted to people who shop at a GameStop store. Kongregate also provides a platform for creators of games on Facebook to expand their potential audience.
- "Kongregate.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "GameStop Corp.: NYSE:GME quotes & news - Google Finance". Google.com. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- Baertlein, Lisa (2007-03-22). "New site aims to be the YouTube of gaming". Reuters Life! (Thomson Reuters). Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- Kirkpatrick, Marshall (2006-10-19). "Kongregate: a Next Generation awesome site Web Games Marketplace". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- Wilson, Matt (2006-12-20). "Kongregate: Your Gatorade For Flash Games". Solution Watch. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- "Kongregate". FlashMush. 2011-05-20. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Greer, Jim (2006-09-01). "Gamers asking for Kongregate!". Jim on Web Games. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- Nicole, Kristen (2007-03-22). "Kongregate Announces Funding, Launches". Mashable Social Networking News. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- Marshall, Matt (2007-03-21). "Kongregrate, the online social game hub". Venture Beat. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- GameStop (2010-07-27). "GameStop Announces Agreement to Acquire Kongregate Inc.". BusinessWire. Retrieved 2011-03-04.
- "Facebook Developers Page".