Kotex is a brand of feminine hygiene products, which includes the Kotex maxi, thin and ultra thin pads, the Security tampons, and the Lightdays pantiliners. Most recently, the company has added U by Kotex to its line of feminine hygiene products. Kotex is owned and managed by Kimberly-Clark, a consumer products corporation active in more than 80 countries.
The modern, commercial, disposable pads seem to have started in the late nineteenth century with the Hartmann company in Germany and Johnson & Johnson in the United States In the United States, Kotex became well known in the 1920s, when Kimberly-Clark placed adverts in Good Housekeeping magazine. Although some readers were offended by the ads, the products' success led to more advertisements. Kimberly-Clark also promoted Kotex in Good Housekeeping by using intimate advice columnist Mary Pauline Callender.
In September 2012, Kimberly-Clark issued a warning regarding a shipment of rejected Kotex tampons that had been stolen and sold to the public. The company said that the defective products posed only a minor health risk to consumers.
In popular culture
- Quest Deodorant Powder for Sanitary Napkins, a feminine hygiene product formerly made by Kotex, features prominently in Mad Men: "Collaborators" (season 6 episode 3, air date 14 April 2013); Peggy Olson finds a container of Quest on her desk, along with a folder detailing three talk points about the product, one of which details the target audience: "working women and other Olsons". Peggy mistakes the practical joke as an actual assignment from her boss, Ted Chaough, who has to explain her copywriters have "pranked" her. The end of the episode shows that Peggy has saved the product in her top desk drawer.
- Museum of Menstruation
- Photo of Mary Pauline Callender
- Advertising: A Younger Group for Feminine Products, New York Times April 15 2011
- "Kimberly-Clark issues warning about stolen tampons". USA Today. September 5, 2012. Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- "Quest Deodorant Powder for Sanitary Napkins". Museum of Menstruation. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Episode 603: The Collaborators". Mad Men (AMC.com). 14 April 2013.
- Marchand, Roland (1985) Advertising The American Dream; Making Way For Modernity, 1920-1940. London; England, University of California Press, LTD.
- Kimberly-Clark corporate website
- Kotex corporate website
- Girlspace: Kotex website for teen girls
- Rebellion Against the Usually Evasive Feminine Care Ad
- U by Kotex
- Kotex Singapore
- Kotex in Russia
|This product article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|