|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
Comparing with the administrative Kowloon City District, the Kowloon City area is vaguely bounded south by Prince Edward Road West and Prince Edward Road East, north with Lo Fu Ngam, east with Kai Tak Nullah and west with Kowloon Tsai.
As early as in the Qin Dynasty (221 BC-206 BCE), Kowloon City was famous for its pearl production. During the Song Dynasty (960-1279), Kowloon City was a part of Koon Fu Cheung (官富場), which was a part of salt yard governed by Chinese officials.
Part of the district was the location of the original Kowloon Walled City, erected during the Qing Dynasty. This is now Kowloon Walled City Park. The former Kai Tak International Airport was also located in the district.
Prior to 1998, a strict building height restriction was imposed in Kowloon City to minimize the hazards of air traffic commuting through the Kai Tak Airport. The closure of Kai Tak as a result of the opening of the new Hong Kong International Airport lifted the height restriction, and high-rise apartments started to appear.
- Holy Trinity Cathedral, the oldest church in Kowloon City
- Kai Tak Airport, a defunct airport in Kowloon City
- Kowloon City Plaza (九龍城廣場; Pinyin: Jiǔlóngchéng Guǎngchǎng)
- Kowloon Walled City
- Sung Wong Toi Park
- Kowloon City’s public market - one of the largest markets in Hong Kong
Kowloon City is an old district in Hong Kong,however, it has been transforming into a modern district with new restaurants and shops. Cuisine- There are a variety of restaurants for choosing. From local cuisine, South East Asia like Thai and Indonesian to European dishes.Most of the restaurants are ran by the foreigners.People can enjoy traditional and quality meals with reasonable price.
Major roads that serves the area include:
- 1, 1A, 2A, 2D, 3B, 3C, 5, 5C, 6D, 6F, 7B, 9, 10, 11B, 11D, 11X, 12A, 13D, 14, 15, 16, 17, 21, 24, 26, 27, 28, 40, 42, 61X, 75X, 85, 85A, 85B, 85C, 93K, 95, 98C, 203E, 296C, 297, N216, N293
- 796C, 796X, N796
- A22, E22, N23, N26
- Cross Harbour Tunnel
- 101, 106, 107, 111, 113, 115, 116, N121
- 2, 2A, 13, 25M, 33, 46, 69, 82M, 105, 105S, 110
- < A history of Kowloon City > (九龍城風物志)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kowloon City.|