National Folk Dance Ensemble of Croatia LADO
|This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Croatian Wikipedia. (October 2011)|
National Folk Dance Ensemble of Croatia LADO was founded in 1949 in Zagreb, SR Croatia, SFRY as a professional national ensemble. LADO represents the rich and diverse regional musical and choreographic traditions of Croatia. It has been called Croatia's most successful "cultural export product".
The ensemble consists of 37 dancers who also sing while they perform, and a group of 15 musicians who play traditional and classical instruments. Lado has had numerous famous Croatian ethnographers and choreographers, music arrangers, and folklorists work with them.
The Lado dance ensemble was founded on 11 November 1949 by Founding Artistic Director and Choreographer Zvonko Ljevaković, thanks in part to a grant from the government of the People's Republic of Croatia under the name Državni zbor narodnih plesova i pjesama (DZNPiP). Its mission was to find and collect samples of the rich Croatian music and dance traditions.
Throughout the years the Lado ensemble has won numerous national and international awards and competitions. In 1954 they won first place at the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod in Llangollen, Great Britain. Afterwards, they won awards in various competitions in Zagreb and Cork, Ireland, as well as honorary awards from Santiago, Punta Arenas, Antofagasta, Los Angeles, Frankfurt, and the key to the city of Cleveland.
- 2002 - Lado represented Europe at the sixth World Symposium on Choral Music in Minneapolis, USA.
- 2003 - Winners of the Orlando Award at the 54th annual Dubrovnik Summer Festival.
- 2004 - Winners of the Ivan Lukačić Award at the 34th annual Varaždin Baroque Evenings.
- 2006 - Winners of INA award for promoting Croatian culture
- 1987 - Narodne pjesme i plesovi sjeverne Hrvatske
- 1994 - Telo Kristuševo, Narodi se mladi kralj'
- 1994 - Kalvarija
- 1998 - Iz Kajkavskih krajeva
- 1998 - Iz Kajkavskih krajeva vol.2
- 1998 - Iz Hrvatske narodne glazbene riznice vol.1
- 1999 - Kolo igra, tamburica svira vol.1
- 1999 - Kolo igra, tamburica svira vol.2
- 1999 - O vreme prelubleno -
- 2000 - Na moru i kraju -
- 2000 - U društvu svirača vol.1
- 2001 - Najljepše Božične pjesme
- 2001 - U društvu svirača vol.2
- 2001 - Na zelenom travniki
- 2002 - Raspelo
- 2003 - Preveliku radost navišćujem vama
- 2003 - LADO electro
- 2004 - Zorja moja zorja - Anđela Potočnik
- 2004 - Božić u svijetu
- 2005 - Iz Hrvatske narodne glazbene riznice vol.2'
- 2006 - Kalvarija
- 2007 - Polke i drmeši
- 2007 - Tete Liza i Lado
- 2009 - Janja - Niz Muru i Dravu
- 2005 - Lado in concert
- 2006 - Veronika
See also 
- Shay, Anthony (2002). Choreographic politics: state folk dance companies, representation, and power. Wesleyan University Press. ISBN 0-8195-6521-0.
- Vitez, Zorica; Vučić, Miroslava, eds. (2009). Lado: hrvatsko nacionalno blago 1949.-2009. [Lado - Croatian national treasure]. Školska knjiga. ISBN 978-953-0-60855-9.
- "LADO Ansambl". LADO. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Ambasadori kulture - Šest desetljeća ponosa i slave". Jutarnji list (in Croatian). 2009-11-10. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- Shay, Anthony (2002). Choreographic politics: state folk dance companies, representation, and power. Wesleyan University Press. ISBN 0-8195-6520-2.
- Official website (Croatian)