Landon Curt Noll
|Landon Curt Noll|
October 28, 1960 |
Walnut Creek, California, United States
|Fields||Mathematics and Cryptography and Astronomy|
|Institutions||Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and Fremont Peak Observatory|
|Alma mater||California State University, East Bay and Linfield College|
|Known for||International Obfuscated C Code Contest
Fowler Noll Vo hash
Names of large numbers
|Notable awards||USENIX Lifetime Achievement Award (contributor - 1993)|
Held or co-held 8 World records relating to large prime numbers. Common username: chongo
Landon Curt Noll (born October 28, 1960) is an American computer scientist, co-discoverer of the 25th Mersenne prime and discoverer of the 26th, which he found while still enrolled at Hayward High School and concurrently at California State University, Hayward. He was also a member of the Amdahl Six team which discovered another record prime in 1989; this prime remains unusual as a record large prime as it was not a Mersenne prime.
Noll was born in Walnut Creek, California, United States. At age 18, he became the youngest person to break the record for the largest known prime. He has held or co-held the record three times. He is also the co-inventor (with John Horton Conway) of a system for naming arbitrarily large powers of 10. He also helped start the International Obfuscated C Code Contest, and is a co-inventor of the Fowler Noll Vo hash function.
- Paul Noll's article on the birth of his son, Landon
- Naming Large Numbers
- Noll C, Nickel L: The 25th and 26th Mersenne Primes, Mathematics of Computation 35: 1387-1390
- The Prime Pages bio for Landon Curt Noll
- The Prime Pages bio for the Amdahl Six
- Generalized Fermat Prime Search
- Yves Gallot's GFN Search Project
- Records by Electronic Computer
- How high can you count?
- The English name of a number
- Frequently Asked Questions about the International Obfuscated C Code Contest
- Fowler/Noll/Vo (FNV) hash history
- American Astronomical Society for Landon Curt Noll
- Landon Curt Noll's Astronomy pages.
- Sunnyvale City Council minutes for 1996 Nov 16