Prior to joining Maverick, he worked at Julian Robertson's Tiger Management Corp. He holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Virginia and an MBA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Kenan–Flagler Business School. He was profiled in the book, Hedge Hunters, by Katherine Burton.
- "Comeback Kid," Institutional Investor, December 19, 2007
- "Maverick Capital Ltd.", Bloomberg Businessweek
- Burton, Katherine. Hedge Hunters. Chapter 6. John Wiley and Sons, 2010. ISBN 0-470-88518-1, ISBN 978-0-470-88518-5.
- "A calm exterior; Lee Ainslie's soft-spoken demeanor cloaks a hard-headed investor with a relentless focus on performance.(Face to Face Lee Ainslie)," Pensions & Investments, June 11, 2007
- "How Lee Ainslie does it," Investment News, February 11, 2008
- "The Legend of Robin Hood," Fortune magazine, September 8, 2006
- "Wall Street's Elite," Forbes, September 10, 2001
- "Inside a hedge fund: An interview with the managing partner of Maverick Capital," McKinsey Quarterly, April 2006