First edition cover
|Published||August 25, 1998|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover & Paperback)|
|LC Class||PS648.F3 L44 1998|
|Followed by||Legends II|
Legends: Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy is a 1998 anthology of 11 novellas (short novels) by a number of noteworthy fantasy authors, edited by Robert Silverberg. All the stories were original to the collection, and set in the authors' established fictional worlds. The anthology won a Locus Award for Best Anthology in 1999. Its science fiction equivalent, Far Horizons, followed in 1999.
- Stephen King: "The Little Sisters of Eluria" (The Dark Tower)
- Terry Goodkind: "Debt of Bones" (The Sword of Truth)
- Orson Scott Card: "Grinning Man" (The Tales of Alvin Maker)
- Robert Silverberg: "The Seventh Shrine" (Majipoor)
- Ursula K. Le Guin: "Dragonfly" (Earthsea)
- Raymond E. Feist: "The Wood Boy" (The Riftwar Cycle)
- Terry Pratchett: "The Sea and Little Fishes" (Discworld)
- George R. R. Martin: The Hedge Knight (novella, A Song of Ice and Fire)
- Tad Williams: "The Burning Man" (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn)
- Anne McCaffrey: "Runner of Pern" (Dragonriders of Pern)
- Robert Jordan: "New Spring" (The Wheel of Time)
- A hardback edition was published by Voyager on October 5, 1998 in the UK with ISBN 0-00-225666-5.
- A paperback edition was published by Voyager on June 7, 1999 in the UK with ISBN 0-00-225667-3.
A re-release was published by Voyager in which Legends was split into two halves, both titled Legends.
- Volume One ISBN 0-00-648394-1 - published on November 1, 1999.
- Volume Two ISBN 0-00-648393-3 - published on April 3, 2000. A special overseas edition (same details) was issued in 1999.
- The first book contains: "The Sea and Little Fishes", "The Hedge Knight", "The Burning Man", "Runner of Pern", "New Spring".
- The second book contains: "The Little Sisters of Eluria", "Debt of Bones", "Grinning Man", "The Seventh Shrine", "Dragonfly", "The Wood Boy".
Legends Vol. 3
In 1999 Tor Books decided to divide and re-release Legends in a three book series.
- Legends Vol. 1 (1999) ISBN 0-8125-6663-7 - "The Little Sisters of Eluria", "The Seventh Shrine", "Grinning Man", and "The Wood Boy"
- Legends Vol. 2 (1999) ISBN 0-8125-7523-7 - "Debt of Bones", "The Hedge Knight", and "Runner of Pern"
- Legends Vol. 3 (2000) ISBN 0-8125-6664-5 - "New Spring", "Dragonfly", "The Burning Man", and "The Sea and Little Fishes"
Legends Vol. 3 is not a new collection of stories but a part of book one.
- Legends title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Legends series listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
|This article about a fantasy short story is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|