No. -- Free agent
|Date of birth:January 4, 1982|
|Place of birth: Atlanta, Georgia|
|Undrafted in 2005|
|Debuted in 2005 for the Atlanta Falcons|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 13, 2011
Leigh Torrence (born January 4, 1982) is an American football cornerback who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent in 2005. He played college football at Stanford.
Torrence attended Marist School near Atlanta, where he played football, ran track, and won two state tennis titles. At Stanford he won two letters in track and four in football, and was named to the Academic All-Pac-10 team.
Green Bay Packers
The Atlanta Falcons claimed Torrence off waivers on September 4, 2005 and signed him to the practice squad. He was activated from the squad and promoted to the 53-man roster on October 12, 2005.
Torrence was waived on September 2, 2006.
The Washington Redskins signed Torrence on December 27, 2006. The team released him on November 8, 2008. During his first stint with the Redskins, Torrence played in 25 games and recorded 42 tackles, one sack, and two pass breakups.
New Orleans Saints
With the Saints in 2009, Torrence was active for five of the team's first ten games, recording 10 tackles and a half sack. He injured his shoulder in the Saints' November 22 win over Tampa Bay and was placed on the injured reserve list on November 23, making room for the Saints to re-sign veteran cornerback Mike McKenzie.
On March 9, 2010, Torrence signed a 1 year contract to return to the New Orleans Saints. He was waived on September 7 but re-signed on September 14. Torrence made several key plays in a nationally-televised Sunday Night Football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on October 31, 2010, first tackling Antwaan Randle El just short of the goal line to prevent a Steelers touchdown in the first half, then intercepting Ben Roethlisberger's pass late in the fourth quarter to seal the Saints' 20-10 win. It was the first interception of his NFL career.
Torrence has been noted for his support of the Sojourner Truth Academy, a New Orleans charter school high school founded by a Stanford classmate: Torrence raised $50,000 from his Saints teammates that was matched by an NFL grant and used to fund the school's football team.
Second Stint with Redskins
Torrence was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars on July 31, 2012 and later released on August 31.
- New Orleans Saints bio (accessed November 3, 2010).
- "Leign Torrence". SBNation.com. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "Redskins Sign Torrence to Bolster Secondary". Redskins.com. April 10, 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- Nakia Hogan, "New Orleans Saints place cornerback Leigh Torrence on IR to make room for Mike McKenzie", Times-Picayune, November 23, 2009.
- Brian Allee-Walsh, "Monday Morning Quarterback: All Saints Night in Halloween win over Steelers", NewOrleans.com, November 1, 2010.
- Jeff Duncan, "Leigh Torrence was an unlikely hero for the New Orleans Saints against Pittsburgh", Times-Picayune, November 2, 2010.
- Jones, Mike (April 10, 2012). "Redskins sign CB Leigh Torrence". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- Jones, Mike (June 2, 2012). "Redskins add CB Morgan Trent to the mix; release Leigh Torrence". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Leigh Torrence on Twitter
- Jacksonville Jaguars bio
- New Orleans Saints bio
- Washington Redskins bio
- Stanford Cardinal bio