Lily Mazahery in 2007, Washington D.C.
October 10, 1972|
|Occupation||Lawyer (disbarred), founder and president of the Legal Rights Institute, founder and principal of the Mazahery Law Firm|
|Known for||Representing high profile political dissidents and victims of human rights abuse, international human rights activism|
Lily Mazahery (born October 10, 1972) is a disbarred Iranian-American lawyer, formerly a human rights activist, and a source on Iran. She is principal of Mazahery Law Firm and the founder and president of Legal Rights Institute (LRI), a non-governmental organization (NGO).
Mazahery received her Juris Doctor in 1999 and was admitted to the District of Columbia bar on December 2, 2002. She was disbarred in February 2014 for misrepresenting prominent human rights victims, including Ahmad Batebi.
Prior to her disbarment, Mazahery's practice primarily focused on immigration law. She assisted individuals who had been victims of human rights violations in Iran and other countries in North Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. Mazahery also advocated for equal rights for women in Islamic countries, including the abolishment of stoning as a form of execution and honour killings.
Disbarment for Ethical Violations
On October 4, 2013, the Board of Professional Responsibility for the District of Columbia Court of Appeals recommended that the D.C. Court of Appeals disbar Mazahery and pay restitution in the amount of $3,241.92 plus interest for multiple acts of dishonesty stemming from her representation of human rights advocates Ahmad Batebi and Kianoosh Sanjari and mishandling of funds relating to execution of Akram Mahdavi. The Board found that Mazahery engaged in a "pattern of dishonesty" in these three matters and disclosed client secrets. They found that her "ethical violations are simply too serious, too numerous, and adversely affected too many people" and that she had made false statements to the bar, at her hearing, committed perjury and larceny in relation to handling funds intended for Batebi, evaded Sanjari and Batebi when they requested information about their asylum applications and committed deceit regarding donations intended for Mahdavi. In February 2014 Mazahery consented to the disbarment and was subsequently disbarred.
References and notes
- http://fora.tv/speaker/10951/Lily_Mazahery FORA.tv,A Brave New World: How New Media Impacts Social Change - List of Speakers
- "List of Experts on Iran".
- Hentoff, Nat (September 19, 2006). "A Marriage Made in Hell: Iranians and Iraqis work together to advance an evil cause". Lily Mazahery: Rescuing women condemned for "impurity". "Mazahery has worked to bring sunlight to the names and fates of individual victims of the barbaric Islamic regime in Iran. " (The Village Voice). Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- "No More Stones! An image by Lily Mazahery". Love America First. August 10, 2006. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "The International Campaign Against Honour Killings". Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA COURT OF APPEALS BOARD ON PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY. "In the Matter of LILY MAZAHERY".
- DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA COURT OF APPEALS. "IN RE: LILY MAZAHERY".
- Lily Mazahery's official Twitter page.
- charges against Lily Mazahery for ethics violations
- Opinion by Ad Hoc Hearing Committee of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, Board of Professional Responsibility
- Order of Disbarment, District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- news report
- transcript of speech on human rights situation in Iran
- New York Times Article on Lily Mazahery and Ahmad Batebi
- law office listing
- Village Voice article
- UK Channel 4 News Video Clip on Ahmad Batebi and his human rights work with the help of his lawyer, Lily Mazahery
- Among first to report Delara Darabi's execution.
- First to report Roxana Saberi's release
- Conversation with Delara Darabi's father
- Quoted on new media
- Appearance at 2009 World Technology Summit
- Role in Ahmad Batebi's settling in USA
- Quoted at Sarah Palin's blog
- Quoted re: treatment of journalists in Iran
- Quoted re: human rights violations in Iran