List of Tampa Bay Buccaneers seasons
- For complete team history, see History of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
This is a list of seasons completed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers American Football Franchise. The list documents the season-by-season records of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' franchise from 1976 to present, including postseason records, and league awards for individual players or head coaches.
The Buccaneers first joined the NFL in 1976 as members of the AFC West. The following year, they moved to the NFC Central. The Tampa Bay expansion franchise was originally awarded to Tom McCloskey, a construction company owner from Philadelphia. It soon became apparent that McCloskey had financial problems, so the NFL found a replacement in Hugh Culverhouse. They were purchased by Malcolm Glazer in 1995 for $192 million, following Culverhouse's death. The front office staff of the team includes Bryan Glazer, Edward Glazer, and Joel Glazer.
The Buccaneers won one Super Bowl Championship in 2002. This was the teams' only Super Bowl appearance, having reached the NFC conference championship on two other occasions. The Buccaneers have been divisional champions six times, three of them in the NFC Central and the other three in NFC South. They were the first team to win the NFC South after the NFL restructure in 2002. In their 32-year history, the Buccaneers have played over 500 regular and post-season games and have appeared in the post-season ten times.
The Finish, Wins, Losses, and Ties columns list regular season results and exclude any postseason play. Regular and postseason records are combined only at the bottom of the list.
|Super Bowl Champions (1970–present)||Conference Champions||Division Champions||Wild Card Berth|
|League||Conference||Division||Regular Season||Post Season Results||Awards|
|1979||1979||NFL||NFC||Central||1st||10||6||0||Won Divisional Playoffs (Eagles) 24–17
Lost NFC Championship (Rams) 9–0
|Lee Roy Selmon (NFL DPOY)|
|1981||1981||NFL||NFC||Central||1st||9||7||0||Lost Divisional Playoffs (Cowboys) 38–0||Lee Roy Selmon (PB MVP)|
|1982||1982||NFL||NFC||7th||5||4||0||Lost First Round (Cowboys) 30–17|
|1997||1997||NFL||NFC||Central||2nd||10||6||0||Won Wild Card Playoffs (Lions) 20–10
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Packers) 21–7
|Warrick Dunn (NFL OROY)|
|1999||1999||NFL||NFC||Central||1st||11||5||0||Won Divisional Playoffs (Redskins) 14–13
Lost NFC Championship (Rams) 11–6
|Warren Sapp (NFL DPOY)|
|2000||2000||NFL||NFC||Central||2nd||10||6||0||Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Eagles) 21–3||Derrick Brooks (WPMOY)|
|2001||2001||NFL||NFC||Central||3rd||9||7||0||Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Eagles) 31–9|
|2002||2002||NFL||NFC||South||1st||12||4||0||Won Divisional Playoffs (49ers) 31–6
Won NFC Championship (Eagles) 27–10
Won Super Bowl XXXVII (Raiders) 48–21
|Derrick Brooks (NFL DPOY)
Dexter Jackson (SB MVP)
|2005||2005||NFL||NFC||South||1st||11||5||0||Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Redskins) 17–10||Carnell Williams (NFL OROY)
Derrick Brooks (PB MVP)
|2007||2007||NFL||NFC||South||1st||9||7||0||Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Giants) 24–14|
6 Division Titles
1 NFC Title
Super Bowl XXXVII win
|Regular Season||229||350||1||.396 Winning percentage|
|Postseason||6||9||0||.400 Winning percentage|
|Overall||235||359||1||.396 Winning percentage|
- For the 1978 season, the NFL expanded from a 14-game season to a 16-game season.
- The Buccaneers finished ahead of the Chicago Bears in the NFC Central based on a better division record of 6–2 to the Bears 5–3
- 1982 was a strike-shortened season so the league was divided up into two conferences instead of its normal divisional alignment.
- The Philadelphia Eagles clinched the NFC number 1 seed ahead of the Buccaneers based on better conference record of 11–1 to the Buccaneers's 9–3.
- The Buccaneers clinched the NFC number 2 seed ahead of the Green Bay Packers based on better head-to-head record.
- The Buccaneers finished ahead of the Carolina Panthers in the NFC South on a better divisional record of 5–1 to the Panthers 4–2.
- The Chicago Bears clinched the NFC number 2 seed ahead of the Buccaneers based on a better conference record of 10–2 to the Buccaneers 9–3.
- "NFL Football History". CBS Sportsline. Retrieved May 1, 2007.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers". Sports E-cyclopedia. Retrieved May 1, 2007.
- "NFL.com - History - Yearly Standings". NFL Official Website. Retrieved May 1, 2007.
- "Pro Football Hall of Fame - Tampa Bay Buccaneers". Pro Football Hall of Fame Website. Retrieved May 1, 2007.
- "databaseFootball.com - Tampa Bay Buccaneers". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved May 1, 2007.
|NFL team season lists|
|American Football Conference|
|AFC East||AFC North||AFC South||AFC West|
|National Football Conference|
|NFC East||NFC North||NFC South||NFC West|