List of market towns in London
This is a list of market towns that are now within the current area of Greater London. That is, a settlement where the municipal corporation has a market right, received from the monarch. Dates indicate the earliest known charters. The use of the market rights has lapsed in some towns and in some cases the use of the right was later revived.
|Barking||Barking Market||Barking and Dagenham||1175|
|Chipping Barnet||Barnet Market||Barnet||1199|
|Croydon||Surrey Street Market||Croydon||1276|
|Edgware||no longer exists||Barnet||no charter||no longer exists|
|Kingston upon Thames||Kingston Market||Kingston upon Thames||1208|
|St Mary Cray||no longer exists||Bromley||1207||no longer exists|
|Uxbridge||Uxbridge Market (within The Mall Uxbridge)||Hillingdon||1180|
|Westminster||no longer exists||Westminster||1259||no longer exists|
- Stow, W. (1772). "A List of all the Market Towns in England and Wales". Remarks on London. londonancestor.com. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "The ancient parish of Barking: Agrarian history, markets and fairs, A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5".
- "Brentford Markets and Growers".
- "Bromley Charter Market".
- "Barnet Market and Fair".
- "Issue 10". Your Croydon.
- "Edgware: Economic and social history, A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4".
- "Historical Information". The Old Enfield Charitable Trust.
- "Kingston Royal Walkabout".
- "Romford Town Centre".
- "Parishes: St Mary Cray, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 2". 1797.
- "Conservation Area Reviews".
- "Westminster". Gazetteer of the British Isles.
- "Historic Woolwich".