|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, United States,|
|Products||xMAP, xTAG, MAGPIX, Luminex 100/200, FLEXMAP 3D|
Luminex Corporation (NASDAQ: LMNX) is a biotechnology company based in Austin, Texas, with offices in Australia, Toronto and the Netherlands. Luminex develops, manufactures and markets proprietary biological testing technologies with applications throughout the life-sciences industry. Patrick J. Balthrop, Sr. has served as Luminex's President and Chief Executive Officer since May, 2004. Luminex was recently recognized by Forbes magazine as one of the top 25 fastest growing technology companies in the US.
Products and Applications
Luminex Corporation holds 79 patents, and over 200 pending patents based on its multiplexing xMAP platform. Luminex's proprietary multiplex bead-based immunoassay testing platform simultaneously measures multiple analytes by exciting a sample with a laser, and subsequently analyzing the wavelength of emitted light. Luminex's MAGPIX platform utilizes LED technology and digital photography to analyze,"color-coded magnetic microspheres". In 2008 Luminex's xTAG platform received FDA 510(k) clearance,the 43rd of Luminex's xMAP-based technology to receive FDA certification, which allows doctors to test for the presence of 12 respiratory viruses with a very high degree of accuracy in a matter of hours, and has been proven to provide an increase in accuracy over in-house nucleic acid amplification testing in the diagnosis of respiratory virus infections. Luminex's xTAG GPP (gastrointestinal pathogen panel) was granted a CE mark by the European Union in early 2011. Luminex is currently seeking regulatory approval for its GPP platform in the US and Canada.
In March, 2010 Luminex announced the acquisition of BSD Robotics based in Queensland, Australia and a collaboration and licensing agreement with Advanced Liquid Logic. Luminex expects this collaboration to result in new applications of its xMAP technology, as Advanced Liquid Logic has pioneered the application of digital microfluidics to the medical device industry.
Awards and Achievements
In 2010 Luminex Corporation received the Prix Galien USA award which, "recognizes the technical, scientific and clinical research skills necessary to develop innovative medicines" In 2011 Luminex Corporation's MAGPIX multiplexing bioassay platform received the Medical Design Excellence Award, the, "premier awards program for the medical technology community."
- The official site of the Prix Galien USA Award
- Advanced Liquid Logic
- Planet xMAP Luminex multiplexing congress bringing together leading scientists to discuss new developments in clinical diagnostics and life science research.
- "Patrick Balthrop, Sr.". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- Ray, John J. (16 February 2011). "America's 25 Fastest-Growing Tech Companies". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- Thompson, Heather. "Luminex: Multiple Strengths on a Single Platform". Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- Houser, Brett. "Using Bead-Based Multiplexing Immunoassays to Explore Cellular Response to Drugs". Drug Discover and Development. Retrieved 5/12/2011. Check date values in:
- Harding, Anne. "Life Science Technologies". www.sciencemag.org. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- Haryean, Armen. "Luminex Receives FDA Clearance for xTAG Flu Test". www.emaxhealth.com. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "xTAG Respiratory Viral Panel (RVP) - K063765". Food and Drug Administration. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- Pabbaraju, Kanti; Tokaryk, Kara, Wong, Sallene, Fox, Julie D. (September 2008). "Comparison of the Luminex xTAG Respiratory Viral Panel with In-House Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests for Diagnosis of Respiratory Virus Infections". Journal of Clinical Microbiology 46 (9): 3056–3062. doi:10.1128/JCM.00878-08. PMC 2546709. PMID 18632902. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "Luminex's xTAG Gastrointestinal Pathogen Panel Gains CE Mark". Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- Bouley, Jeffrey. "Luminex Makes an Australian Acquisition and a North Carolina Collaboration Deal". Drug Discovery News. Retrieved 2011-05-24.
- "2010 Prix Galien USA Award Winners". www.prix-galien-usa.com. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "MDEA Program Overview". Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "2011 Medical Design Excellence Awards". www.canontradeshows.com. Retrieved 2011-05-17.