Lust in the Dust
|Lust in the Dust|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Paul Bartel|
|Produced by||Allan Glaser
|Written by||Philip John Taylor|
|Music by||Peter Matz|
|Editing by||Alan Toomayan|
|Studio||Fox Run Productions|
|Distributed by||New World Pictures|
|Release dates||March 1, 1985|
|Running time||84 minutes|
Lust in the Dust is a 1985 Western comedy film starring Divine, Tab Hunter, Cesar Romero, and Lainie Kazan, and directed by Paul Bartel. It takes its title from a longstanding nickname given to the 1946 Western Duel in the Sun. This was Divine's first film with no connection to John Waters.
Dance-hall girl Rosie Velez (Divine), lost in the desert, is helped to safety by gunman Abel Wood (Tab Hunter). In the town of Chili Verde, at the saloon of Marguerita Ventura (Lainie Kazan), word of a treasure in gold brings Abel into conflict with outlaw Hard Case Williams (Geoffrey Lewis) and his gang.
- Divine as Rosie Velez
- Tab Hunter as Abel Wood
- Lainie Kazan as Marguerita Ventura
- Cesar Romero as Father Garcia
- Geoffrey Lewis as Hard Case Williams
- Henry Silva as Bernardo
- Courtney Gains as Red Dick Barker
- Gina Gallego as Ninfa
- Nedra Volz as Big Ed
- Woody Strode as Blackman, Hard Case Gang
- Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez as Mexican, Hard Case Gang
- John Waters was asked to direct, but refused because he did not write the script.
- Edith Massey was cast in the role of Big Ed, but died shortly after her screen test. Paul Bartel was uneasy about having her in the film because he thought it would look too much like a John Waters film without John Waters.
- The role for Lainie Kazan was originally set for Chita Rivera.
- All songs composed by Karen Hart
- "Tarnished Tumbleweed" – Mike Stull
- "These Lips Were Made for Kissin'" – Divine
- "South of My Border" – Lainie Kazan
Reception: The film was positively reviewed and was a modest box office success.
- Hart, Karen. "Karen Hart Music". Retrieved 9/14/2012.
- Lust in the Dust at the Internet Movie Database
- Lust in the Dust at allmovie
- Lust in the Dust at Rotten Tomatoes