||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
|Birth name||Richard Dennis Duran|
August 19, 1953 |
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Instruments||Harmonica, flute, vocals|
Lynwood Slim (born Richard Dennis Duran, August 19, 1953, Los Angeles, California) is an American blues harmonica player and singer. Slim is best known as a singer in the style of smooth easy jazz/blues as well as his harmonica and flute playing.
Slim started playing the trumpet at age 12, and the harmonica when he was 15. His early influences include Jimmy Reed, Little Walter and Big Walter Horton. He played the Los Angeles music scene then moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1974. He became a major force on the music scene, winning awards for best blues band in 1986.
Slim moved to Amsterdam, the Netherlands in 1988, returned to Los Angeles later that same year. He started working with Junior Watson, as well as Hollywood Fats Band alumni Larry Taylor, Fred Kaplan and Richard Innes. He started playing the flute after listening to James Moody and Herbie Mann.
Recording credits include a number of solo albums as well as numerous as a guest performer, producer, engineer, arranger and songwriter. Slim is currently signed to Delta Groove, an independent record label based in Van Nuys, California. He has toured and recorded in the United States as well as Europe, South America and Australia.
Slim's health has been on the decline since early 2011. Initially he was diagnosed with hepatitis C, which he overcame, but the damage to his liver caused cirrhosis. In late 2011 Slim was given news that without a liver transplant he would only survive for two years. Slim does not have health insurance and is accepting donations through his website.
- 1996: Soul Feet (Atomic Theory ATM 1121)
- 1997: Lost in America (Atomic Theory ATM 1135)
- 1998: Back to Back (CrossCut 11059) with Junior Watson
- 1999: World Wide Wood (Pacific Blues PBRC 9903)
- 1999: Too Small to Dance (Pacific Blues PBRC 9902) with Big Rhythm Combo
- 2006: Last Call (Delta Groove DGPCD108)
- 2010: Brazilian Kicks (Delta Groove) with The Igor Prado Band
- Ham, Char (1953-08-19). "Lynwood Slim - Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Health". Lynwoodslim.com. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Donate". Lynwoodslim.com. Retrieved 2013-03-21.