Mölnlycke Health Care

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Mölnlycke Health Care
Type Aktiebolag
Industry Medical devices
Founded 1849, Mölnlycke
Headquarters Gothenburg, Sweden
Key people Pierre Guyot, CEO
Revenue 856 million (2009)[1]
Owner(s) Investor AB (96%) and Morgan Stanley Principal Investments
Employees 6700+
Website www.molnlycke.com

Mölnlycke Health Care is a Swedish medical devices company headquartered in Gothenburg and active internationally. The company manufactures and sells disposable surgical products such as drapes, gowns, facemasks, and headwear [2] and wound and skin care products such as dressings, compression products, and emollients.[3]

History, mergers and acquisitions[edit]

The company was founded in 1849 by Gustaf Ferdinand Hennig in Mölnlycke as a textile manufacturer.[4] In the 1940s Mölnlycke began supplying the health care industry with products, such as gauze.

In 1975 Mölnlycke AB was acquired by Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget (SCA) (publ) where it made up their Clinical division.[4] At that time SCA was known as Bowater-Scott, and the new company, called Sancella Pty Limited, manufactured personal care products.[5]

In late 1997 SCA sold the Clinical products division to Nordic Capital who merged it with Kolmi-Set acquired by Tamro[6] and named it Mölnlycke Health Care AB.[4] Mölnlycke Health Care started operations as an independent company in 1998.[4]

Four years later, in 2001, Mölnlycke Health Care acquired the single-use surgical BARRIER product line from Johnson & Johnson.[7]

Mölnlycke Health Care AB was acquired from Nordic Capital by Apax Partners in June 2005 and subsequently merged with Medlock Medical and Regent Medical. The merged company became Mölnlycke Health Care Group.[8]

Apax Partners sold Mölnlycke Health Care Group to Investor AB and Morgan Stanley in January 2007.[9]

In October 2008 Mölnlycke Health Care acquired Pharmaset, a French manufacturer of surgical single-use kits.[10]

In June 2009 the company acquired JKT, a Polish manufacturer of surgical disposable products.[11]

In January 2010 the company acquired Rynel, Inc., an American manufacturer of hydrophilic polyurethane foam.[12]

Investor AB acquired Morgan Stanley Principal Investments' stake in Mölnlycke Health Care in August 2010.[13] The acquisition made Investor AB a 96% owner in the company. The remaining 4% is owned by management.[14]

The company is in a rapid growth from 2000 based on the competitive health care products and good management team. In June 2011, the company launched the construction of a new manufacturing facility at Brunswick Landing, site of the former Naval Air Station Brunswick, in Brunswick, Maine, United States, representing a significant milestone for the company to become a leading health-care product manufacture in the world. The factory will produce health care products for U.S market from 2012, and significantly reduce the manufacturing cost and assist new product development.

In 2011, the company is ranked the 2nd largest advanced wound dressing company in the world and still keeps growing.

Jan 2014, the company announced its expansion plans for its Wiscasset, Maine manufacturing facility.[15]

Sales and manufacturing[edit]

Mölnlycke Health Care has sales offices globally.[16] The company has split their production between several factories around the world. Production of their surgical products takes place in Belgium, Thailand, Malaysia, France, Poland and the Czech Republic. Production of wound care products takes place in the UK, Finland and U.S.[17]

Labor relations in Thailand Operation[edit]

Twenty-three founders and leaders of the Mölnlycke Health Care Labour Union at the company's plant in Thailand were dismissed in 2001 due to their involvement in trade union activities. The Industrial Relations Committee (IRC) of Thailand deemed the dismissal to be unfair and suggested the company reinstate the workers. At a later stage, two workers were reinstated, one of whom was elected as union president but was again dismissed in 2007. In 2011 twenty-two workers were dismissed in the aftermath of what the company claims to be wild strikes, which again the IRC of Thailand deemed to be unfair.[18] Still claiming this to be wild strikes, Mölnlycke has appealed to the Labour Court for legal trial as either party in an IRC mediation has the right to appeal IRC's recommendation to the court system. The case was settled out of court in February 2013.

Brands[edit]

The Mölnlycke Health Care surgical division has five brands:

The Mölnlycke Health Care wound care division has numerous brands. They include:

References[edit]

External links[edit]