M-1965 field jacket
The M-1965 Field Jacket (also known as M65 and M-65 Field Jacket), named after the year it was introduced, is a popular field jacket initially designed for the US military under the MIL-C-43455J standard.
It was introduced into US military service in 1965 to replace the M-1951 field jacket still preferred by US Troops, an improvement on the M-1943 field jacket of Second World War design.
The M-1965 had a built in hood that rolled up and fit into a pouch on the back of the neck as opposed to the separate hood that attached to the M-1951. The M-1965 also had velcro fasteners on the sleeve cuffs and collar.
The M-65 field jacket was widely used by United States Forces during the Vietnam War in which the jacket became useful for troops serving in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam, as well as keeping a soldier warm from the cool weather conditions that came after monsoonal rains. It was a standard issue to US troops in several other wars all around the globe as well.
Originally introduced in olive green shade 107, it is now produced in a large variety of colours and patterns including many military camouflage patterns. The frontmost portion of the jacket has two large hip pockets and two medium-sized breast pockets. The rearmost neck portion and collar of the jacket features a zipper which houses a protective hood. The M-1965 field jacket can be combined with a button-in insulated lining for cold-weather wear, as well as a button on fur trimmed winter hood.
M65 Jacket in popular culture
- Robert De Niro as Travis Bickle in the movie Taxi Driver.
- Al Pacino as Serpico in the movie Serpico.
- Jamal Woolard as Christopher 'Biggie' Wallace in the movie Notorious.
- De'Angelo Wilson as DJ Iz in the movie 8 Mile.
- A passenger in the movie Ride
- Larenz Tate as Anthony Curtis in the movie Dead Presidents.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme as Frank Dux in the movie Bloodsport.
- Adam Baldwin as Ricky Linderman in the movie My Bodyguard.
- Charlie Sheen as Tom Logan in Scary Movie 3
- Scott Patterson as Luke Danes in the series Gilmore Girls.
- Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester in the series Supernatural.
- Michael Berryman as Crazy Earl in the movie Army of the Damned 2013.
- Paddy Considine as Richard in the movie Dead Man's Shoes.
- Sylvester Stallone as John Rambo in the movie First Blood and as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa
- Arnold Schwarzenegger as The Terminator in the movie The Terminator, but modified with leather parts and studs by the Punk it was stolen from.
- Various inmates in Lock Up.
- Various characters in seaQuest DSVs second season.
- Pat Morita as Mr Myagi in The Karate Kid, Part III.
- Pierce Brosnan as James Bond in Goldeneye.
- Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan in GoldenEye, modified with buttons, folded collar in Pre title sequence.
- Götz George as Horst Schimanski in the German TV series Tatort.
- Osama Bin Laden was, ironically, often seen wearing an M-65.
- Tim Roth as Trevor in the movie Made in Britain 1982.
- Ahmad Shah Massoud is known to have worn an M-65 field jacket during the Soviet war in Afghanistan in the 1980s.
- Linda Cardellini as Lindsay Weir in the series Freaks and Geeks.
- Michael A. Goorjian as Heroin Bob in the Film SLC Punk!.
- Jason Lee as Earl Hickey in the series My Name is Earl.
- Joe Pilato as Captain Rhodes in Day of the Dead (1985 film).
- R. Lee Ermey as Stone in On Deadly Ground.
- Nike Sportswear releases the M-65 as a fashion garment.
- Alex Shepherd, lead character in the video game Silent Hill Homecoming.
- Gerhard Liebmann as Janek in the movie Blood Glacier 2013.
- AJ Bowen as Ben Geringer in the movie Rites of Spring 2011 and as Victor Ulman in the film The House of the Devil 2009.
- In season four of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica where the landing party discovers their long sought destination of planet Earth is destroyed.
- Brian Austin Green as Derek Reese in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
- Edward Furlong as Hawk in "Detroit Rock City".
- Darren Bridgett as David Dryer in Black August.
- Various Irish Republican militants in Bloody Sunday.
- Nas in "It Ain't Hard to Tell" music video.
- Jason Mewes as Jay in the movie Clerks 2.
- Charlie Day as Charlie in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
- Jason Statham as Danny Bryce wears black M-65 on his assault on SAS's veteran Ranulph Fiennes in Killer Elite.
- James Sunderland, the lead character in the video game in Silent Hill 2.
- Ryan Reynolds as Andrew Paxton in the movie The Proposal.
- Michael Madsen as Farragut in the movie OUTRAGE: Born in Terror 2009.
- Mel Gibson as Detective Sgt. Martin Riggs in Lethal Weapon 1987
- Billy Crystal as Detective Sgt. Danny Costanzo in Running Scared 1986
- Christian Bale as John Connor in Terminator Salvation 2009
- Charles Bronson as Paul Kersey in "Death Wish II"
- Liev Schreiber as John Clark in The Sum Of All Fears 2002 During Night Infiltration into abandoned Russian military base.
- Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan in The Sum Of All Fears 2002 During Night Infiltration into abandoned Russian military base.
- Kurtwood Smith as Clarence Boddicker in RoboCop 1987.
- Forest Whitaker as Ghost Dog in the movie Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai 1999.
- Calvin Jung as Steve Minh in RoboCop 1987.
- Woody Allen as Alvy Singer in Annie Hall 1977.
- Colin Farrell as Victor in Dead Man Down 2013.
- Christian Slater as Clarence Worley in True Romance 1993.
- James Woods as Richard Boyle in the movie Salvador 1986.
- André Benjamin as Jeremiah Mercer in Four Brothers 2005.
- "M-65 Field Jacket".
- "M-1965 FIELD JACKET". Olive-drab.com. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- US Army Infantryman in Vietnam 1965-73 - Gordon Rottman - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. 2005-07-13. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "Alpha Industries History".