M1200 Armored Knight
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2009)|
These are wheeled armored vehicles, designed using the M1117 Guardian ASV as the base, that carry the equipment needed to quickly bring in guided munitions and indirect artillery fire. According to the Strategy Page website; "The M1200 contains a laser designator, a laser range finder and GPS, plus radios and computers that take target position data and transmit it to distant artillery units, or bombers overhead, and get the firepower on the target within minutes. Previously, all this gear was mounted on an unarmored hummer." The armored knight evolved from the desire to provide enhanced protection to the fire support teams who perform the targeting mission in high threat environments.
The Knight was developed in an effort to offer an armored vehicle capable of keeping up with COLTs (Combat Observation Lasing Teams). The previous FiST-V (Fire Support Team-Vehicle) employed by the COLTs was the M707 Knight (a stripped-down variant of the Humvee).
- Standard Crew: Three
- Combat Loaded Weight: Approximately 15 tons
- Maximum Speed: 63 Mph
- Cruising Range: 440 Miles
- Targeting System: Fire Support Sensor System(FS3)
- Target Location Accuracy: 1 Meter
- Armament: 1 M240B or 1 M2 Browning
- FS3 Mounted Sensor
- Targeting Station Control Panel
- Mission Processor Unit
- Inertial Navigation Unit
- Global Positioning System Receiver
- Power Distribution Unit
- Stand Alone Computer Unit
- "The Armored Knights Keep Coming". Strategy Page. December 22, 2009. Retrieved 23 December 2009.