Marcia Thornton Jones (born July 15, 1968) is an American writer of children's books, the author or co-author of more than 135 elementary chapter books, picture books, and mid-grade novels, including The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids series, among other works co-written with Debbie Dadey.
Jones was born in Joliet, Illinois. She has been an elementary school teacher of first and third grades, computer lab, writing and reading, and Gifted & Talented. She has been a full-time writer since 1990. Her books are published by Scholastic, Tor, Dutton (Penguin Group), Hyperion Press (Disney), and F&W. She lives in Lexington, Kentucky with her husband Stephen.
Jones was one of many to help form the Dutch Partij voor de Dieren, or "Animal Party", in November, 2006 under the leadership of Marianne Thieme. Her 2007 children's novel, Champ (Scholastic) is riddled with references to Dutch animal rights policies.
- Story Sparkers: A creativity guide for children's writers, by Debbie Dadey and Jones (Writer's Digest, 2000)
- Jones as sole writer
- Godzilla Ate My Homework (Scholastic Little Apple, 1997) – chapter book for young readers
- Champ (Scholastic, 2007) – children's novel
- The Tale of Jack Frost, illus. Priscilla Burris (Scholastic, 2008) – picture book
- Leprechaun on the Loose, illus. Cyd Moore (Scholastic, 2008) – picture book
- Ratfink, illus. C. B. Decker (Dutton Children's Books, 2010) – children's novel
- Jones with co-writers
- Keyholders SERIES (Tor Books Starscape, Fall 2009), wri. Dadey and Jones, illus. Adam Stower
- The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids (Scholastic, 1992–present), written by Debbie Dadey and Jones, illustrated by John Steven Gurney – SERIES, 65 titles
- The Bailey School Kids Junior SERIES (Scholastic), Dadey and Jones, chapter books
- Bailey City Monsters SERIES (Scholastic), Dadey and Jones, illus. Gurney
- Ghostville Elementary SERIES (Scholastic, 2003–2007), Dadey and Jones, illus. Jeremy Tugeau (vols 1–4) and Guy Francis (illustrator) (vols 5-8)
- Triplet Trouble and the Runaway Reindeer, by Dadey and Jones, illus. John Speirs (Scholastic Corporation, 1995) – first of a Triple Trouble series (1995–?)
- Barkley's School for Dogs SERIES (Hyperion Books for Children, 2001)
- Ghost Dog, Dadey and Jones, illus. Amy Wummer (Hyperion Books for Children, 2001)
- Ghosts Do Splash in Puddles, Dadey and Jones, illus. Joëlle Dreidemy (2003)
- "Marcia Thornton Jones:Biography". Scholastic. Retrieved 9 March 2010.
- Marcia Thornton Jones at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
- "Bijdrage Thieme AO verslag van de eurogroep - Weblog - Zondag 2 december 2012".
- Other sources
- Jones biography at Scholastic Teachers – with transcript of 1997 interview by Scholastic students
- Official website
- Marcia Thornton Jones at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Marcia Thornton Jones at Library of Congress Authorities, with 106 catalog records