Marcos Alonso Imaz
|Full name||Marcos Alonso Imaz|
|Date of birth||16 April 1933|
|Place of birth||Santander, Spain|
|Date of death||6 March 2012(aged 78)|
|Place of death||Santander, Spain|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Marquitos was born in Santander, Cantabria. During his career, he played for hometown's Racing de Santander, Real Madrid, Hércules CF, Real Murcia, Calvo Sotelo and Toluca de Santander. With the Merengues, he won six La Liga championships and five European Cups: in the 1955–56 edition of the latter, he scored a rare goal as he equalized 3–3 against Stade de Reims, in an eventual 4–3 success.
- Real Madrid
- Intercontinental Cup: 1960
- European Cup: 1955–56, 1956–57, 1957–58, 1958–59, 1959–60
- Latin Cup: 1955, 1957
- Spanish League: 1954–55, 1956–57, 1957–58, 1960–61, 1961–62
- Spanish Cup: 1961–62
Personal / Death
Marquitos' son, Marcos Alonso Peña, was also a footballer, and a coach. He represented, with success, Atlético Madrid, FC Barcelona and Spain – amongst others. His grandson, Marcos Alonso Mendoza, also played for Real Madrid, and also had a spell in England with Bolton Wanderers.
- Spain unveil provisional party; UEFA.com, 30 June 2009
- European Cup winner Marquitos dies aged 78; The Guardian, 7 March 2012
- Muere 'Marquitos', legendario defensa del Madrid ('Marquitos', legendary Madrid defender, dies); El Mundo, 7 March 2012 (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- National team data (Spanish)
- Marquitos at National-Football-Teams.com
- Real Madrid biography (Spanish)