Location in Antarctica
|Location||Marie Byrd Land, Antarctica|
|Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System|
The Marshall Archipelago is an extensive group of large ice-covered islands within the Sulzberger Ice Shelf off Antarctica. Several of the islands were discovered and plotted by the Byrd Antarctic Expeditions (1928–30 and 1933–35) and by the United States Antarctic Service (1939–41), all led by Admiral Richard E. Byrd. The full extent of the archipelago was mapped by the United States Geological Survey from surveys and U.S. Navy air photos (1959–65). The name was proposed by Admiral Byrd for General of the Army George C. Marshall, who made financial contributions as a private individual and also, on the same basis, provided advisory assistance to the Byrd expedition of 1933–35.
Main article: Benton Island
- Benton Island ( ) is an island 4 nautical miles (7.4 km; 4.6 mi) in length, lying northwest of Nolan Island and 5 nautical miles (9.3 km; 5.8 mi) west of Przybyszewski Island in the Marshall Archipelago.
Main article: Cronenwett Island
- Cronenwett Island (Vollmer Island and Steventon Island in the Marshall Archipelago. Although the island is near Vollmer Island, Vollmer Island is not actually considered one of the islands of the Marshall Archipelago. ) is an island 20 nautical miles (37 km; 23 mi) in length making it the longest island in the archipelago. The island lies between
Main article: Grinder Island
- Grinder Island ( ) is an island 7 nautical miles (13 km; 8.1 mi) in length and 1 nautical mile (1.9 km; 1.2 mi) in width. The island lies 13 nautical miles (24 km; 15 mi) southwest of Steventon Island within the Marshall Archipelago.
Main article: Hannah Island
- Hannah Island (Hutchinson Island and Guest Peninsula lying within the Marshall Archipelago. ) is an island lying between
Main article: Kramer Island
- Kramer Island (Court Ridge in the Marshall Archipelago. ) is an island 2 nautical miles (3.7 km; 2.3 mi) in length and is situated between Nolan Island and
Main article: Madden Island
- Madden Island ( ) is an island 4 nautical miles (7.4 km; 4.6 mi) in length and is located between Moody Island and Grinder Island in the Marshall Archipelago.
Main article Orr Island
- Orr Island ( ) is an island 5 nautical miles (9.3 km; 5.8 mi) in length and lies 3 nautical miles (6 km) southwest of Grinder Island in the Marshall Archipelago.
Main article Przybyszewski Island
- Przybyszewski Island (Barela Rock appears to be a rock formation of interest, located in the southern portion of Przybyszewski Island. ) is an island 12 nautical miles (22 km; 14 mi) in length and lies 3 nautical miles (5.6 km; 3.5 mi) (6 km) east of Cronenwett Island in the Marshall Archipelago.
Main article Thode Island
- Thode Island ( ) is an island 1 nautical mile (1.9 km; 1.2 mi) northwest of Benton Island and 5 nautical miles (9.3 km; 5.8 mi) east of Przybyszewski Island in the Marshall Archipelago.
|This Marie Byrd Land location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|