Matt Brown (American football)
No. 9 Free agent
|Date of birth:July 28, 1989|
|Place of birth: Baltimore, Maryland|
|High school: Baltimore City College, Peddie School|
|Undrafted in 2013|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|Stats at CFL.ca|
Brown was born and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland. His father, Warren Brown, is an attorney and his mother, Lynette, a beautician. He played in the Northwood Little League(baseball) and the Northwood Youth football league and despite his small stature, excelled at both.
Brown initially attended Baltimore City College high school and Cardinal Gibbons in his hometown, but transferred to Peddie School in New Jersey the next year. With no prospects for a college scholarship in football, Brown attended the Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y., where NFL starters LeSean McCoy and Shonn Greene had played. There, Brown set a school record with nine kickoff-return touchdowns in 12 games.
Because of his size, 5 foot, 5 inches tall, no division I or II schools showed any interest in Brown; even at Temple he was a walk-on and played his first year without a scholarship. Brown returned 83 kick-offs for Temple for 2,068 yards and two touchdowns at 24.9 average yards per kick return. He also had 45 punt returns for 403 yards over the past two seasons.
Brown's best game at Temple came during his sophomore year against Army, when he carried the ball 28 times for 226 yards and 4 touchdowns.
In his senior year, Brown was named the Big East Conference's special team player of the year and was a 2012 All-Big East First Team player as a coaches' selection. Brown was also named to the 2012 ESPN.com All-Big East Team at return specialist, the 2012 CBSSports.com Big East All-Conference Team and the 2012 first-team All-Big East at kickoff returner by College Sports Madness.
Brown had attended both the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs free agent camps in the spring of 2013 but did not hear back from either. Two weeks later he was preparing to sign a contract with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League but was denied entry to Canada due to an expired passport. He received a call from Buccaneers shortly thereafter, and on May 28, 2013 he signed a three-year deal with the Buccaneers. Brown was released on July 23, 2013, after Peyton Hillis signed a one year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Soon after, Brown signed with the Roughriders on August 5, 2013.,
On November 24, 2013 the Roughriders defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 45-23, to win the 101st Grey Cup. Brown would only last on the Roughriders roster until June 7, 2014, as he was released without an appearance in a game.
- Cowherd, Kevin (2013-06-06). "Baltimore native Matt Brown focuses on NFL dream in Tampa". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- Eckard, Chris (2011-09-02). "Running back Matt Brown growing into key role for Temple". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Matt Brown". ESPN. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Temple vs Army". ESPN. 2010-02-10. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- Pompey, Keith (2013-04-28). "Owls Sign NFL Contracts". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Football-Matt Brown". Temple University Athletics. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Philipse, Sander (2013-05-29). "Buccaneers Sign Runningback Matt Brown Out of Temple". BucsNation. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- Pompey, Keith (2013-05-39). "Brown Signs With Bucs". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Riders sign returner Matt Brown