Matt Zimmerman (actor)
26 December 1934 |
Greater Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
|Alma mater||London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art|
Life and career
Born in Greater Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, and educated in Detroit, Michigan, United States, Zimmerman started acting at an early age. He attended Bowling Green State University, Ohio, where he was a telecommunications major. Having won a scholarship, he moved to the United Kingdom in 1959 to study drama at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA), where he was a contemporary of Ed Bishop.
Besides voicing Alan in Thunderbirds, Zimmerman, like other actors on the series, also voiced various minor characters. He made a live-action appearance in one episode of UFO ("Exposed", 1970) and one episode of Space: 1999, both among Gerry Anderson's other TV productions.
Zimmerman also starred as Shooty in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Other TV appearances include T-Bag, Mike and Angelo, Crazy Like a Fox, Never the Twain, in addition to many commercials, most notably for Wrangler Jeans.
Also a stage actor, Zimmerman has starred in plays such as Annie Get Your Gun, Anything Goes, Once in a Lifetime and West Side Story, and made his most recent West End appearance in Fiddler on the Roof at the Savoy Theatre in London. In 2008, he appeared in the touring cast of Cabaret, taking the role of Herr Schultz.
- 1966: A Man for All Seasons
- 1966: Thunderbirds Are Go
- 1968: Thunderbird 6
- 1979: Birth of the Beatles
- 1986: Haunted Honeymoon
- 1989: The Forgotten
- 1995: Margaret's Museum
- "Matt Zimmerman". Northern Stars. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- Bush, Richard (1986). Annie Get Your Gun (CD booklet). Suzi Quatro. London, United Kingdom: First Night Records. p. 23. OCR CD6024.
- "First Night Records Online Store, Annie Get Your Gun - 1986 London Cast". first-night-records.co.uk. London, United Kingdom: First Night Records. Retrieved 3 June 2012.