Maundy Thursday (film)
|Directed by||Song Hae-sung|
|Produced by||Lee Seung-jae|
|Written by||Jang Min-seok
|Based on||Our Happy Time
by Gong Ji-young
|Music by||Lee Jae-jin|
|Editing by||Park Gok-ji|
|Distributed by||Prime Entertainment|
|Running time||120 minutes|
Maundy Thursday (Hangul: 우리들의 행복한 시간; RR: Urideului haengbokhan shigan; lit. Our Happy Time) is a 2006 South Korean film directed by Song Hae-sung based on a bestselling novel by Gong Ji-young. Starring Kang Dong-won and Lee Na-young, the film is about a convicted murderer awaiting execution, and the bond he forms with a suicidal young woman who starts visiting him in jail every Thursday.
With 3,132,320 admissions, Maundy Thursday was the seventh most popular Korean film of 2006.
Yu-jeong (Lee Na-young) has now attempted to commit suicide three times. Her disdain for her mother and indifference to the rest of the world, isolates her from any chance for happiness. Yu-jeong's aunt Sister Monica is a nun, and she often goes to the prison to visit death row inmates. Sister Monica meets a new death row inmate who asks if he could meet her niece. Yu-jeong reluctantly agrees.
Yu-jeong and the death row inmate do not open up to each other immediately. Yu-jeong comes from a wealthy family and is a professor at a university. Yet, she has never known happiness since the age of 15 as a result of a sexual assault at the hands of her cousin. The inmate that she meets, named Yun-soo (Kang Dong-won), has had an even more traumatic childhood experience. He was abandoned by his parents at an early age and has had to live on the streets while caring for a younger brother. Eventually Yun-soo ends up involved in the criminal world and gets convicted for murder. With their disparate backgrounds, Yu-jeong and Yun-soo are still able to connect with each other, because both people have encountered grief like few others could possibly know. As they both regain the will to live through their weekly meetings, they must now deal with their feelings for each other and come to grips with the short amount of time they have together.
- Kang Dong-won ... Jung Yun-soo
- Lee Na-young ... Moon Yu-jeong
- Yoon Yeo-jeong ... Sister Monica/Yu-jeong's aunt
- Kang Shin-il
- Jeong Yeong-sook ... Yu-jeong's mother
- Kim Ji-yeong
- Jang Hyeon-seong
- Jeong In-ji
- Kim Jin-hyeok
- Choi Yong-min
- Oh Jung-se
- Lee Jae-goo
- Nah Gi-soo
- Sin Yeong-jin
- Oh Kwang-rok
- Kim Boo-seon
Awards and nominations
- Nomination – Best Actress – Lee Na-young
- Nomination – Best Music – Lee Jae-jin
2007 Baeksang Arts Awards
- Nomination – Best Actor – Kang Dong-won
- "Woo-ri-deul-ui Haeng-bok-han Si-gan (Maundy Thursday)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- "Book in brief: An unusual love story". Korea JoongAng Daily. 1 December 2006. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Happy Hours and Two Complex Stars". The Chosun Ilbo. 6 September 2009. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "The Best Selling Films of 2006 ". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- "A Superior Weepie About the Meaning of Compassion". The Chosun Ilbo. 14 September 2006. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Park, Soo-mee (7 February 2007). "This film's irony ends with the title". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Maundy Thursday - Awards". Cinemasie. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- Official website (Korean)
- Maundy Thursday at the Internet Movie Database
- Maundy Thursday at the Korean Movie Database
- Maundy Thursday at HanCinema
- Maundy Thursday at allmovie