|Headquarters||Port Louis, Mauritius|
|Key people||Sarat Dutt Lallah (CEO)
Nathalie Clere (COO, Deputy CEO)
|Revenue||MUR 8.5 billion (2013)|
|Total assets||MUR 15.805 billion (2012)|
Mauritius Telecom is a telecommunications and Internet service provider in Mauritius, a small republic in the Indian Ocean. The company had about 357,000 fixed telephone lines customers, 804,000 mobile customers and 162,000 broadband internet customers (Orange ADSL and My.T ADSL) as at June 2014.
Mauritius Telecom was founded in July 1992 by a merger between the former Overseas Telecommunications Services Ltd and Mauritius Telecommunication Services Ltd. As from that date, Mauritius Telecom became the major provider of voice, mobile, Internet and data communication services in Mauritius.
In 1996, Cellplus Mobile Communications Ltd, a mobile network operator and a fully owned subsidiary of Mauritius Telecom launched the GSM network in Mauritius and later during the same year Telecom Plus Ltd, another fully owned subsidiary of Mauritius Telecom as from 2006, launched a dial-up Internet access service.
In November 2000, France Télécom (now Orange S.A.) became the majority owner of Mauritius Telecom by acquiring 40% of its shares. Following the partnership with France Télécom, Telecom Plus Ltd launched broadband internet access in 2002.
The two companies launched in June 2006 the Multiplay IPTV services branded as My.T which enabled Mauritius to become among the first countries in the world to launch IPTV services.
As from 17 April 2008, Mauritius Telecom re-branded its mobile and internet services as Orange. Cellplus Prepaid and Post Paid offers are now known as Orange Prepay and Post Pay offers and Telecom Plus dial-up internet access and Wanadoo ADSL offers are now known as Orange Dial-Up and Orange ADSL.
The main shareholders of Mauritius Telecom are:
- Orange S.A. (40%)
- Government of Mauritius (33.45%)
- SBM Investments Managers Ltd (19%)
- National Pensions Fund (6.55%)
- Employees of Mauritius Telecom (1%)
- MyT V.O.D
- France O
- France 2
- France 3
- France 5
- STAR Plus
- ARY Digital
- Colors (TV channel)
- M Tunes HD
- MTV India
- Jaya TV
- STAR Vijay
- MCM Top
- STAR Gold
- Headlines Today
- TCM Cinema
- STAR Life OK
Mauritius Telecom own the following companies:
- Telecom Plus Ltd, an internet service provider
- Cellplus Mobile Communications Ltd, a cellular phone service provider
- Call Services Ltd (CSL), a telemarketing company
- Teleservices (Mauritius) Ltd, a telephone directory company
- Mauritius Telecom Foundation
- MT Services Ltd (MTS)
- MT Properties Ltd
- Mauritius Telecom International Ventures Ltd
- "Financial Highlights". Mauritius Telecom. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Mauritius Telecom". Mauritius Telecom. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "TWU: Mauritius Telecom n’est que l’otage de France Télécom, avance V. Jugdhurry" (in French). Le Mauricien. 2011-11-08. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Shareholders". Mauritius Telecom. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Subsidiaries". Mauritius Telecom. Retrieved 2013-08-06.