Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment
The first edition United States cover for The Angel Experiment
|Cover artist||Kamil Vojnar & Roger Wood|
|Publisher|| Little, Brown
| April 11, 2005
July 4, 2005
|Pages||432 pp (hardback)
|Followed by||Maximum Ride: School's Out Forever|
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment is the first book in the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. The book was released in the US on April 11, 2005 and in the UK on July 4, 2005. The book is set in the near future and centers around the 'flock', a group of human-avian hybrids (98% human, 2% bird) on the run from the scientists who created them. It focuses on Maximum Ride (Max), the leader of the 'flock', and the first-person narrator of the story.
List of characters
Maximum (Max), Fang, Iggy, Nudge, The Gasman (Gazzy), Angel, Total (The dog), Celeste, Ella, Dr. Valencia Martinez, Jeb Batchelder, and Ari.
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment has received generally positive reviews. Cleveland Plain Dealer described it as "like the best sort of video game or action movie, in book form" and commented that it "shows the promise of becoming a favorite" as well as comparing it to the Boxcar Children series: "Think of this group of six, from 14-year-old Max to 6-year-old Angel, like the 'Boxcar Children' of a new millennium." The School Library Journal delivered a more lukewarm review, calling the book an "exciting SF thriller that's not wholly original but still a compelling read". Booklist described it as "an action-packed cross between Gertrude Chandler Warner's Boxcar Children and Marvel Comics' X-Men", also noting how "Patterson occasionally forgets his audience here, as evidenced by his sardonic tone and such glib adult asides". However, Booklist also praised Patterson for stepping out of his normally adult-genre books as it said, "He's picked a comfortable formula (orphans protecting one another and making a home together)". This made adults and children very happy when he came out with this series because it was a series for adults and kids to read. 
In January 2007, it was announced that a film would be created based on the Maximum Ride series. James Patterson will be the executive producer. Avi Arad, one of the producers of Spider-Man, X-Men and other Marvel movies, will also produce alongside Steven Paul. In an interview with James Patterson, it was revealed that Arad has already planned out the first two movies. On August 7, 2008, it was announced that Columbia Pictures bought the screen rights to the franchise. The film was slated for an early to mid-2010 release. Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight) will direct the first movie, with Don Payne (Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer) writing the script. In January 2010 it was announced that the film will go into pre-production as the film's director Catherine Hardwicke asked for a script rewrite as she wanted more action in the film, delaying the film's release until 2014.
- Amazon.co.uk: The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride): James Patterson: Books
- Amazon.co.uk: Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment: James Patterson: Books
- Amazon.com: The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, Book 1): James Patterson: Books
- Patterson, James. Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment, inside cover.
- Amazon.com: Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment: James Patterson: Books: Editorial Reviews
- Barnes and Noble.com: Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment: James Patterson: Books
- "Catherine Hardwicke Takes Maximum Ride". ComingSoon.
- http://www.maximumride.co.uk/film.php Maximum Ride - The Film
- Books: Maximum Ride | The Official James Patterson Web Site
- Fleming, Michael (August 7, 2008). "Columbia takes 'Maximum Ride'". Variety.
- a;aa; nanan
- Maximum Ride, via Concept Farm
- Maximum Ride, via Hodder Headline
- Patterson.com James Patterson
- maximumride blogspot