McCallum High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009)|
|A.N. McCallum High School|
|5600 Sunshine Drive
Austin, Travis, 78756
|School district||Austin Independent School District|
|School number||512 414-2519|
|School color(s)||Royal Blue and Gray|
|Team name||The Knights, Lady Knights|
|Publication||Excalibur Literary Magazine|
McCallum, the second oldest high school in the Austin Independent School District, opened in 1953 to relieve growth in north and northwest Austin. Named after AISD's first high school superintendent, A.N. McCallum, the school strives to reflect the initiatives and achievements of its namesake.
In 1994, McCallum motioned to make its campus the home of AISD's Fine Arts Academy. Currently, the Fine Arts Academy is open to all students in AISD who wish to attend, given that they are accepted following an admissions process. Current fine arts strands include visual arts, dance, theatre (acting/performance and technical), cinematic arts, voice, and instrumental music (band, orchestra, classical guitar, and collaborative piano).
- Kristian House, Professional Cyclist - British National Champion in 2009
- Robbie Beckett, Major League Baseball pitcher and 1st round draft of the San Diego Padres in 1990 
- Matt Belisle, Major League Baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds (1998) 
- Gordon Bethune, Continental Airlines CEO (1958)
- LCDR Barry Cooke, a 1973 graduate of McCallum H.S. and a U.S. Naval aviator who was shot down and killed during Operation Desert Storm in 1991.
- Geoff Ketchum, radio talk show host, football pundit, and author 
- Tom Kite, PGA golfer 
- Timothy Kopra, NASA astronaut (1981) 
- Austin Nichols, actor and star of the HBO series John from Cincinnati 
- Wiley Wiggins, actor and star of Dazed and Confused 
- Maher, John. "Wild Thing mellows out." Austin American-Statesman. February 18, 1996.
- Duffey, Gene. "McCallum High's Belisle now pitching for Reds." Austin American-Statesman. April 10, 2005.
- Classmates: Geoff Ketchum
- Lemon, Del. "Refined line Allen, on constant quest for better swing, gets help from Kite." Austin American-Statesman. May 10, 1990.
- NASA biography of Timothy Kopra
- Cantu, Rick. "OFF THE BEATEN PATH." Austin American-Statesman. January 20, 2006.
- Osborn, Claire. "McCallum junior takes `Dazed' fame in stride." Austin American-Statesman. October 7, 1993.
Class Reunion pages