|Type of site||Political Blog, news, entertainment|
|Launched||July 6, 2009|
Mediaite is a news and opinion blog covering politics and entertainment in the media industry . It is the flagship blog of Abrams Media, a ring of blogs run by ABC legal analyst Dan Abrams and also featuring Gossip Cop, Geekosystem, Styleite, Sports Grid, The Mary Sue, The Jane Dough (formerly known as Mogulite), and The Braiser. Described by Abrams as "for the media, about the media and part of the new media," it features regular columns, an extensive video library, and the "Power Grid" that ranks media personalities by influence.
Abrams currently serves as the site's publisher and launched the site in July 2009 with former editor Colby Hall. The site's managing editor is currently Jon Nicosia, who joined Mediaite in November of 2009. Other staffers include senior editor Andrew Kirell and White House correspondent Tommy Christopher, as well as editors Josh Feldman, Noah Rothman, Matt Wilstein, and Evan McMurry. In an interview with The Washington Post, founding managing editor Colby Hall described the site as "Huffington Post meets Gawker." In December of 2011, Hall left Mediaite for Clear Channel.
After four months in operation, an analysis by media ratings blog TV By the Numbers indicated that Mediaite's traffic was comparable to that of similar blogs such as The Wrap and Deadline Hollywood Daily. As of March 2010, Mediaite's traffic averaged about a million visitors a month, more than the entire Mediabistro.com blog network combined. Mediaite is currently ranked in Technorati's top 100 blogs at #15.
As of August 2012, Mediaite welcomed a record 7 million unique visitors per month.
One notable feature of the site is the Power Grid, a daily-updating list that uses an algorithm to rank over 1500 media professionals. The Power Grid uses a host of metrics, such as TV viewership and Twitter followers, to determine individuals' ranks in their respective categories. Mediaite has stated that the list will continue to "roll out new metrics, new categories of people to be ranked, and new features for the Power Grid." The Power Grid model has also been adapted to the other Abrams Media blogs Geekosystem, Styleite, and Sports Grid.
- "A Note From Dan Abrams". Mediaite. 2009-07-05. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "About Mediaite.com". Mediaite. 2012-03-22.
- "Media Notes: Howard Kurtz on the Personality Preoccupation of Mediaite.com". The Washington Post. 2009-07-06. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- "Nikki Finke vs. The Wrap vs. Mediaite". TV by the Numbers. 2009-11-05. Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- "Mediaite.com Quantcast Audience Profile". Quantcast. 2010-03-23.
- "Technorati Top 100 (1–25)". Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Mediaite, Styleite, SportsGrid, and GossipCop Set Traffic Records In August, Abrams Media Welcomes 17,424,372 Visitors". Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "The Real Reason You Should Hate The Media (And That Includes Us) – Emeritus". Deadspin. 2009-07-07. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "Power Grid FAQ". Mediaite. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- "I Was a Teenage Power Grid". Mediaite. 2009-07-08. Retrieved 2010-04-02.