Metaknowledge or meta-knowledge is knowledge about a preselected knowledge.
For the reason of different definitions of knowledge in the subject matter literature, meta-information is or is not included in meta-knowledge. Detailed cognitive, systemic and epistemic study of human knowledge requires a distinguishing of these concepts. but in the common language knowledge includes information, and, for example, bibliographic data are considered as a meta-knowledge.
Meta-knowledge is a fundamental conceptual instrument in such research and scientific domains as, knowledge engineering, knowledge management, and others dealing with study and operations on knowledge, seen as a unified object/entities, abstracted from local conceptualizations and terminologies. Examples of the first-level individual meta-knowledge are methods of planning, modeling, tagging, learning and every modification of a domain knowledge. According to the TOGA meta-theory, the procedures, methodologies and strategies of teaching, coordination of e-learning courses are individual meta-meta-knowledge of an intelligent entity (a person, organization or society). Of course, universal meta-knowledge frameworks have to be valid for the organization of meta-levels of individual meta-knowledge.
Metaknowledge may be automatically harvested from electronic publication archives, to reveal patterns in research, relationships between researchers and institutions and to identify contradictory results.
- Epistemic logic
- Metaprogramming (in computer science)
- Metahistory, a book by Hayden White
- *Meta-Knowledge Unified Framework (A.M. Gadomski) - the TOGA meta-theory, Italian Research Agency ENEA
- James A. Evans, et al. 2011. Metaknowledge. Science 331, 721.
|Look up metaknowledge in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Knowledge Interchange Format Reference Manual Chapter 7: Metaknowledge, Stanford University
- A Survey of Cognitive and Agent Architectures: Meta-knowledge, University of Michigan
|This philosophy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|