Misery Index (band)
Misery Index in Prague (2011)
|Origin||Baltimore, Maryland, USA|
|Genres||Death metal, grindcore, deathgrind|
|Labels||Nuclear Blast, Relapse, Anarchos, Season of Mist|
|Associated acts||Dying Fetus|
|Past members||Kevin Talley
Misery Index is an American deathgrind band formed in 2001 in Baltimore, Maryland, United States, by Jason Netherton on vocals and bass guitar, Mike Harrison on vocals and guitar, and Kevin Talley on drums. From 2006-2010, its line-up consisted of Netherton on vocals and bass guitar, Sparky Voyles on guitar, Mark Kloeppel on vocals and guitar, and Adam Jarvis on drums. In 2010, Voyles left the band and was replaced by Darin Morris.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
Misery Index's music is best described as death metal with strong hardcore punk and grindcore influences. Their lyrics tend to be highly critical of prevailing power structures in modern culture, everyday life and the ills of modern society, often coinciding with progressive, radical and anarchic aesthetics. Their band name is derived from the economic indicator of the same name, which was also the namesake of the last album by Assück, from whom Misery Index also draw inspiration. Through the years, the band toured extensively, notably performing over 1000 concerts in 44 different countries from 2002 until 2013.
The band runs its own record label, Anarchos Records, through which they put out a handful of titles, including their debut Overthrow EP in 2001, the Dissent EP in 2004, and the 2010 compilation Pulling Out the Nails. Their debut album, Retaliate, was released on Nuclear Blast Records in 2003. They signed to Relapse Records in January, 2006, and released their second album, Discordia, in May 2006. Their third album, Traitors, was released in September 2008. Their fourth album, Heirs to Thievery, was released May 11, 2010. In June 2011, the band signed to Season of Mist Records.
- Overthrow CD/12" (2001)
- Misery Index / Commit Suicide split CD (2002)
- Misery Index / Structure of Lies split CD (2003)
- Dissent CD/12" (2004)
- Misery Index / Bathtub Shitter split 7" (2006)
- Hang Em High 7" (2007)
- Misery Index / Mumakil split CD/7" (2007)
- Misery Index / Lock Up split 7" (2011)
- Pulling Out the Nails CD/LP (2010)
- Jason Netherton – bass guitar, lead vocals (2001–present)
- Mark Kloeppel – guitar, vocals (2005–present)
- Adam Jarvis – drums (2004–present)
- Darin Morris – lead guitar (2010–present)
- Kevin Talley – drums (2001–2002, 2004)
- Mike Harrison – guitar, vocals (2001–2002, 2004)
- Matt Byers – drums (2002–2004)
- Bruce Greig – guitar (2003–2004)
- John "Sparky" Voyles – guitar (2002–2010)
- "MISERY INDEX: 'Heirs To Thievery' First-Week Sales Revealed". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Misery Index Signs With Season Of Mist". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- Name (required) (2011-01-04). "Exclusive: Jason Netherton (Misery Index) Interview « AMERICAN AFTERMATH". Americanaftermath.net. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Misery Index (band).|