July 21, 1958 |
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
|Occupation||Author, Musician & Journalist|
|Years active||1989 –present|
Dwyer was born in Newcastle, Australia on 21 July 1958, and educated in and around Lake Macquarie. After leaving school, he trained as a psychiatric nurse at Morisset Hospital, then began traveling and worked variously as a professional fisherman, fashion model, foreign aid worker abroad and hospitality industry journeyman.
Arts and media career
In the late 1980s, Monte trained in Theatre Arts in Darwin, Northern Territory under Gündüz Kaliç, then began presenting the weather on the local ABC TV station, gaining notoriety for his theatrical presentations which included singing, rapping and race-calling the weather. During this time, he was a columnist for the NT News and hosted various Darwin ABC Radio programs, including Breakfast, Drive & Afternoons.
In 2007 Dwyer produced content for Charles Wooley's radio program Across Australia while travelling around Australia in a motorhome. In 2008, he was in one season of Postcards From the Bush for Channel Seven's Sunrise.
After leaving the program, Dwyer began to produce video stories and travelogues for clients including Tourism Australia and Australia Network. He also self-publishes/produces books & DVDs under the Red in the Centre brand, and turns out the occasional CD of original music.
Dwyer has written four books:
- Slapped by an Angel, co-author Kym Crosbie (2006, ISBN 978-0-646-47069-6)
- Red in the Centre: The Australian Bush Through Urban Eyes (2008, ISBN 978-0-646-49296-4)
- Red in the Centre: Through a Crooked Lens (2010, ISBN 978-0-646-52740-6)
- Red in the Centre: Looking for the H Chord (2011, ISBN 978-0-646-55386-3)
- I Would've Written, (Australian National Playwright's Conference 1989) 
- Son, (Australian National Playwright's Conference, 1990
- Meacham, Steve (8 January 2004), Seven serves up breakfast battle, Melbourne: The Age, retrieved 31 August 2011
- Tv Tales Weather Presenters, Blouse.com.au, retrieved 31 August 2011
- Garma 'parties' at taxpayer expense, NT News, retrieved 31 August 2011
- Monte back to find 'nuts', NT News, retrieved 31 August 2011
- Today Show (Australia), IMDB, retrieved 23 August 2011
- Monte Goes Back on The Road, Toyota, retrieved 23 August 2011
- Weatherman Monte Dwyer tells why he switched to Sunrise, The Australian, retrieved 23 August 2011
- Lens on Australia, Tourism Australia, retrieved 23 August 2011
- Monte Dwyer Books, National Library of Australia, retrieved 23 August 2011
- Online love: Monte's story, Today Show, retrieved 23 August 2011
- Australian National Playwrights Conference, National Library of Australia, retrieved 23 August 2011