|Meaning||"rich" or "descendant of the wealthy one"|
|Region of origin||Ireland|
|Related names||O'Moony, Meaney, Moon, Money, Moonie|
Mooney is a family name, which is probably predominantly derived from the Irish Ó Maonaigh. It can also be spelled Moony, Moonie, Meaney and Meeney.
The origin of the different Moony or Mooney families is lost in antiquity. The name is derived from maoin a gaelic word meaning wealth or treasure of treasure, hence when O'Maonaigh was anglicised to Mooney it meant the descendant of the wealthy one.
According to Irish lore, the Mooney family comes from one of the largest and most noble Irish lines. They are said to be descendants of the ancient Irish King Heremon, who, along with his brother Herber, conquered Ireland. Heremon slew his brother shortly after their invasion, took the throne for himself, and fathered a line of kings of Ireland that include Malachi II, and King Niall of the Nine Hostages.
Baptismal records, parish records, ancient land grants, the Annals of the Four Masters, and books by O'Hart, McLysaght, and O'Brien were all used in researching the history of the Mooney family name. These varied and often ancient records indicate that distant septs of the name arose in several places throughout Ireland. The most known and most numerous sept came from the county of Offaly. The members of this sept were from Chieftain Monach, son of Ailill Mor, Lord of Ulster, who was descended from the Kings of Connacht. These family members gave their name to town lands called Ballymooney both in that county and in the neighboring county of Leix.
- Mooney Airplane Company
- Mooney Boats, Ltd. - Killybegs, County Donegal-based company specializing in the construction, refurbishment, and repair of commercial fishing vessels
- Albert Mooney, aircraft designer and founder of Mooney Airplane Company
- Alex X. Mooney, American politician
- Ashley Mooney, Software Pioneer
- Bel Mooney, English journalist and broadcaster
- Brian Mooney, professional football player
- Cameron Mooney, Australian rules footballer
- Carol Ann Mooney, President of Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana
- Chris Mooney (basketball) (born 1972), American basketball coach
- Dave Mooney, professional football player
- Debra Mooney, American actress
- Edward Mooney, Roman Catholic Cardinal Archbishop of Detroit, former Bishop of Rochester
- Hercules Mooney, American Revolutionary War Colonel
- James Mooney, anthropologist whose major works were about Native American Indians
- John Mooney (disambiguation), multiple people
- Kyle Mooney, Saturday Night Live cast members
- Malcolm Mooney, original lead singer of rock group |Can; inspiration for The Mooney Suzuki's name (see below)
- Melvin Mooney, American physicist, developed the Mooney Viscometer and other testing equipment used in the rubber industry.
- Paschal Mooney, Irish politician
- Peter Mooney (conductor), Scottish educationalist and conductor (music)
- Paul Mooney (writer), son of James Mooney
- Paul Mooney (comedian), American comedian, writer, and actor
- Robert Mooney, Canadian politician
- Rodney Mooney, Minister of the Gospel
- Sean Mooney, sports reporter and former WWF announcer
- Thomas Mooney, American labor leader from San Francisco, California
- Father Tom Mooney, first Catholic chaplain to die in World War II, in Belgium
- Tom Mooney (rugby league), Australian rugby league footballer
- Tommy Mooney, professional football player
- Tony Mooney, Australian politician
- Walter E. Mooney, pilot and model aircraft designer
- Bert Mooney Airport - Montana
- Cardinal Mooney High School
- Mooney Bay - Candle Lake (Saskatchewan)
- Mooney Creek, Kansas
- Mooney Falls - Grand Canyon
- Mooney Mooney, New South Wales, Australia
- Mooney Pond - Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
- Mooney's Woods - West Hartford, Connecticut
- [dead link]
- HJK49 (Visualizza annunci) (2009-02-23). "The Ancient and Distinguished History of the - Mooney - Bacheca di storia familiare e genealogia - Ancestry.it". Boards.ancestry.it. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "Mooney Boats, Ltd.". Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- "Kyle Mooney". Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "At the going down of the sun: from the Scheldt to the Rhine | Esprit de Corps | Find Articles at BNET". Findarticles.com. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "Mooney Bay". Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- "Mooney Pond". Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- "Mooney's Woods". Retrieved 2013-07-19.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Mooney. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|