Terrance "Mugs" Stump (August 28, 1949 – May 21, 1992) was a noted American rock climber and mountaineer, active in establishing difficult first ascents in the Alaska Range and the Canadian Rockies. He died from falling into a crevasse while descending the South Buttress of Denali on May 21, 1992 while guiding clients Bob Hoffman and Nelson Max.
He is most noted for the first ascent of the Emperor Face on Mount Robson with Jim Logan, and for three routes in the Alaska Range, the East Face of The Moose's Tooth, the Moonflower Buttress on Mount Hunter, and a one-day solo of Denali's Cassin Ridge.
The Mugs Stump Alpine Climbing Award for aspiring alpine climbers is named in his honor.
Mugs was born in Mifflintown, Pennsylvania, where he grew up fishing, hunting, and camping with his father Warren and three brothers.
First ascents and notable ascents
- 1978 Stump/Logan, Emperor Face, Mount Robson (VI 5.9 A2 2500m) with Jim Logan.
- 1981 Dance of the Woo Li Masters, East Face of The Moose's Tooth, Ruth Gorge, Alaska, USA (VI 5.9 WI4+ A4, 1520m) with Jim Bridwell
- 1981 Moonflower Buttress, North Buttress of Mount Hunter, Alaska Range (Alaska Grade 6: 5.8 A3 AI6, 6100') with Paul Aubrey(NZ). FA to ridge crest.
- 1987 South Face Broken Tooth, Ruth Gorge, Alaska Range (IV 5.10+ A3). FA with Steve Quinlan
- 1990 Rodeo Queen, Streaked Wall, Zion National Park, FA with Conrad Anker
- 1991 Freezer Burn aka Free or Burn (IV 5.11+), East Temple, Zion National Park, Utah; FFA with Lynn Wheeler
- Heinrich, Doug. "about Mugs / Mugs Stump Alpine Climbing Award". Black Diamond Equipment. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- Logan, James (1979). "Mount Robson's Emperor Face". American Alpine Journal (New York, NY USA: American Alpine Club) 22 (53): 122–124. ISBN 978-0-930410-75-9.
- Beckwith, Christian (September 1, 2004). "Gods and Monsters". Alpinist (Alpinist Magazine) (8). Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "1981 Mountaineering Summary, Denali National Park and preserve". National Park Service. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "Climbs and expeditions 1987". American Alpine Journal (New York, NY USA: American Alpine Club) 30 (62): 109, 115. 1988. ISBN 0-930410-33-5.
- "First Ascent Info". Bigwall dot Com. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- Bjornstad, Eric (1996). Desert Rock – Rock Climbs in the National Parks. Evergreen, CO: Chockstone Press. p. 75. ISBN 0-934641-92-7.
|This biographical article related to American sports is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to climbing or mountaineering is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|