Mustang Aeronautics Mustang II
|Bushby Mustang II|
|Role||Aerobatic sports plane|
|Manufacturer||Mustang Aeronautics for Homebuilding|
|First flight||9 July 1966|
approximately $4200 to build in 1971
Design and development
Robert Bushby acquired the rights to the Long Midget Mustang in 1959 and four years later began development of a two-seat, side-by-side version. This eventually flew in 1966 and plans were made available soon thereafter. Rights to both the Midget Mustang and the Mustang II were sold to Mustang Aeronautics in 1992.
A single engine in tractor configuration airplane, the Mustang II features cantilever low-wing, two-seats-in-side-by-side configuration enclosed cockpit under a bubble canopy, fixed conventional landing gear, or, optionally, tricycle landing gear.
The aircraft is made from riveted sheet aluminum with a rounded turtle deck and flat sides and bottom skins. Its 24.2 ft (7.4 m) span wing employs a NACA 64A212 airfoil at the wing root, transitioning to a NACA 64A210 at the wingtip. Standard engines used include the 150 to 160 hp (112 to 119 kW) Lycoming O-320, the 180 hp (134 kW) Lycoming O-360 and the fuel-injected 200 hp (149 kW) Lycoming IO-360 four-stroke powerplants.
- Crew: One pilot
- Capacity: 1 passenger (2 total)
- Length: 19 ft 6 in (5.94 m)
- Wingspan: 24 ft 2 in (7.37 m)
- Height: 5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)
- Wing area: 97 ft2 (9.0 m2)
- Empty weight: 927 lb (420 kg)
- Gross weight: 1,500 lb (680 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming O-320 air-cooled horizontally-opposed four-cylinder engine, 160 hp (120 kW) each
- Maximum speed: 230 mph (370 km/h)
- Range: 430 miles (692 km)
- Service ceiling: 21,000 ft (6,400 m)
- Vandermeullen, Richard: 2012 Kit Aircraft Buyer's Guide, Kitplanes, Volume 28, Number 12, December 2011, page 62. Belvoir Publications. ISSN 0891-1851
- Leo J. Kohn (Winter 1971). "The true cost of building your own plane". Air Trails: 63.
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 113. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Flying Magazine: 53. October 1966.
- "What kind of airplane should you build". Air Progress Sport Aircraft: 41. Winter 1969.
- Lednicer, David (2010). "The Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage". Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- Taylor, Michael J. H. (1989). Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation. London: Studio Editions. p. 225.
- Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1987-88. London: Jane's Publishing Company. pp. 646–47.
- Manufacturer's website - Mustang II History
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bushby Mustang II.|