My Utmost for His Highest
The front cover of a copy of My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.
|ISBN||ISBN 0-929239-99-7 (1995 edition)|
My Utmost for His Highest is a daily devotional by Oswald Chambers (1874-1917) that compiles his Christian preaching to students and soldiers. The book was first published in 1924, later undergoing a revision in the 1990s, and has become a series of Christian devotional journals, calendars, and children's books. The title is taken from one of Chambers's sermons, where he says "Shut out every consideration and keep yourself before God for this one thing only- My Utmost for His Highest". The book is considered to be one of the most popular religious books ever written, inspiring several people such as author Cal Thomas and President George W. Bush.
My Utmost for His Highest has been officially translated into over 39 languages.
Synopsis and history
My Utmost for His Highest is broken down into 365 sections for each day of the year, meant to be read daily for inspiration. The book was published after Oswald's death in 1917, with his wife Gertrude Hobbs compiling the passages after his death from her shorthand notes.
The devotionals in the book cover a range of subjects, from what a person should pray for to reflections on the follower's daily activities.
- My Utmost for His Highest: Selections for the Year (1989)
- My Utmost for His Highest: Jesus Wants All of Me (1999)
- My Utmost for His Highest Journal (2001)
In popular culture
- In 1995 a tribute album by the same name of Contemporary Christian Music was released by Myrrh Records and Word Records, which spawned two more albums and a tour.
- Best of Steve Camp: My Utmost for His Highest, a 1995 album by Steve Camp based upon the book's theme.
- My Utmost for His Highest - a Worship Musical, a musical adaptation of the devotional by Claire Cloninger that won a 1998 Dove Award for Best Musical
- "My Utmost For His Highest Written By Oswald Chambers". The Newberry Observer. Oct 8, 1999. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "RELIGION'S BEST SELLERS". Dallas Morning News. December 7, 1996. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "My Utmost for His Highest". Washington Post. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Bush's inspiration: Scottish preacher he reads before breakfast every day". Scotsman. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "My Utmost for His Highest - Available Translations". Oswald Chambers. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "An age-old message for modern audience". Atlanta Journal. April 16, 1998. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "WE MUST CONVEY GOSPEL'S URGENCY". Charlotte Observer. April 24, 2005. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Ehret, Michael (Jun 29, 1997). "CHRISTIAN MUSIC". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Cusic, Don (2002). The Sound of Light: A History of Gospel and Christian Music. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 435. ISBN 063402938X.
|This article about a book related to Christianity is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|