The NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis data set (1948–2014) was a continually updating gridded data set that represented the state of the Earth's atmosphere, incorporating observations and numerical weather prediction (NWP) model output from 1948 to September 2014. It was a joint product from the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) and the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). (See also Meteorological reanalysis.)
Accessing the data
- Initializing a smaller scale atmospheric model
- Climate assessment
Since then NCEP-DOE Reanalysis 2 and the NCEP CFS Reanalysis are released. The former focuses in fixing existing bugs with the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis system – most notably surface energy and usage of observed precipitation forcing to the land surface, but otherwise uses a similar numerical model and data assimilation system. The latter is based on the NCEP Climate Forecast System.
- "NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis". NOAA. Retrieved 20 November 2008.
- "NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis". NOAA. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- Kanamitsu M., W. Ebisuzaki, J. Woollen, S-K Yang, J. J. Hnilo, M. Fiorino, G. L. Potter: 2002. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 83:11, 1631–1643
- S. Saha, and coauthors, 2010: The NCEP Climate Forecast System Reanalysis. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 91:8, 1015–1057.
- S. Saha, and coauthors , 2006 : The NCEP Climate Forecast System. J. Climate, Vol. 19, No. 15, pages 3483.3517.
- Kistler, R., E. Kalnay, W. Collins, S. Saha, G. White, J. Woollen, M. Chelliah, W. Ebisuzaki, M. Kanamitsu, V. Kousky, H. van den Dool, R. Jenne, and M. Fiorino, 2001: The NCEP-NCAR 50-Year Reanalysis: Monthly Means CD-ROM and Documentation. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 82, 247–268.
- Kalnay, E., M. Kanamitsu, R. Kistler, W. Collins, D. Deaven, L. Gandin, M. Iredell, S. Saha, G. White, J. Woollen, Y. Zhu, M. Chelliah, W. Ebisuzaki, W. Higgins, J. Janowiak, K. C. Mo, C. Ropelewski, J. Wang, A. Leetmaa, R. Reynolds, R. Jenne, and D. Joseph, 1996: The NCEP/NCAR 40-Year Reanalysis Project". Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 77, 437–471.