National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
|National Gay and Lesbian Task Force|
|Headquarters||Washington, D.C., USA|
|Executive Director||Rea Carey|
The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, sometimes referred to as the Task Force, is an American pro-LGBT non-profit organization. The mission of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is to build the grassroots power of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. It was founded in 1973 by Dr. Howard Brown, Dr. Bruce Voeller, who was the organization's first director, Reverend Robert Carter and Dr. Frank Kameny, in New York. The current executive director is Rea Carey.
The Task Force runs Creating Change, the National Conference on LGBT Equality which receives over 2,000 attendees each year. Plenary sessions provide a common meeting ground for the conference to explore current issues in the LGBT community. In 2003, the conference featured the first ever Skills Academy for Leadership and Action, an all day session dedicated to skills training for grassroots activists.
In 2005, the Task Force protested against the Instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders, which forbids the ordination of Catholic homosexual seminarians.
The Policy Institute of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is a think tank that conducts social science research, policy analysis, strategy development, public education and advocacy.
- LGBT rights in the United States
- List of LGBT rights organizations
- Urvashi Vaid
- Torie Osborn
- Lorri Jean
- Matt Foreman
- Robert Carter Roman Catholic priest
- "National Gay and Lesbian Task Force - Info". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Labor Leader Dolores Huerta Opens Creating Change Conference". Advocate.com. 2009-01-31. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "16th Annual Creating Change Conference Kicks Off in Miami". Common Dreams. November 7, 2003. Retrieved 2007-10-17.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (2005-11-29). "Task Force Denounces Vatican Guidelines Barring Gay Men from the Priesthood; Calls Upon Gay Priests to Come Out and for Catholics to Support Them". Common Dreams. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Policy Institute, NGLTF website, retrieved 2007-10-17
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.|