Nazarene Bible Quizzing
In Nazarene Bible Quizzing, two or three teams of up to five members compete against each other with participants jumping off of a chair to answer a question. The jumping triggers an electronic lockout device in the seat, and only the first person to jump may answer the question. Should someone jump before the question is completed they must finish the question and give the answer. In this respect, it is similar to other Christian denominational Bible quiz ministries.
The material each year is chosen from a predetermined list of books in the New Testament. Over its eight-year cycle, Nazarene Bible Quzzing covers over half of the New Testament.
Types of Questions
In quizzing, there are eight different kinds of questions used and 20 questions in a round. Situation questions are used if Book and Chapter questions are not and vice versa.
- General: A basic question (who, what, where, when, why, how, and so on). Eleven per round.
- According To: Gives a reference then asks a question, such as, "According to Luke chapter 1 verse 29, what was Mary?" Four per round.
- Situation: Asks multiple questions out of a single verse then gives a quote, such as, "Who said it and to whom, 'Do not be afraid, Zechariah, your prayer has been heard'". Used only in the gospels and the book of Acts, one per round.
- In What Book and Chapter: Gives a quote and the answer is the book and the chapter. Used in multiple book years only, one per round.
- Context: Asks a question out of the context of a verse.
- Quote: Gives a reference of a memory verse and the quizzer needs to quote the verse, word perfect. One per round.
- Verse: Starts quoting a verse and the quizzer finishes, word perfect. One per round.
- Reference: Starts quoting a verse, and quizzer must finish and give the reference. Quotation must be word perfect. One per round.
The Quiz Cycle
The current quiz cycle is determined by the World Bible Quizzing Association, and repeats every 8 years.
- Hebrews, 1 Peter, and 2 Peter
- Romans and James
- Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon
- 1 Corinthians and 2 Corinthians
*World quiz year
Regional & National Level Competition
Nazarene bible quizzing is separated into three basic divisions:
- Districts - Usually, states are divided into multiple districts. There are sometimes as many as 10+ per state. If the states are very tiny, there can be only one or two districts per state.
- Regionals - This division usually consists of 3-10 states. Quizzers qualify for regional level competition via monthly district quizzes.
- Nationals - Nationals take place at the General Assembly or at Nazarene Youth Conference (each held every four years), or in other years at a special quizzing event at one of the Nazarene Universities, and the top quizzers from English speaking countries compete. There are now beginning to be competitions in Spanish and Korean as well.